Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding Nitronic 60 to 316 S/S
- - By RButler (*) Date 07-23-2004 15:40
I have a Weld Procedure Qualification to qualify for weld metal combination Nitronic 60 to 316L. In my research I have concluded that ER218 is the correct filler metal to weld Nitronic 60 to itself but I have not seen any information for welding dissimilar metals like Nitronic 60 to 316L. I was thinking either 316L or 309L filler metal would be a good choice, being that the Chrome and Nickel content are a little higher then in Nitronic 60.This should help in dilusion during in the welding process. Any feed back would be appreciated. I will be using the GTAW process on 1/2" plate. Any comments and feed back would be appreciated.

Ron B
Parent - By jfolk (**) Date 07-23-2004 17:14
Mr. Butler,

I just recently worked on a project involving the joining of Nitronic 50 to SA-240 or 304L sst. The customer decided to accept a P8 to P8 wps qualified with ER308L filler. The process was GTAW. I would investigate code or standard requirements of the fabrication, service temperature and environment. I have some web site links which may be of interest.

John Folk
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding Nitronic 60 to 316 S/S