Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Rod Oven
- - By Malcolm (*) Date 07-25-2004 19:37
If there anything in A5.1 or other documents that would prevent one from using a gas fired rod oven for E7018 for work done under D1.1?
Parent - - By ajoy (**) Date 07-26-2004 06:17
I have not come across any such restriction either in SEC-II C or D 1.1 that the baking ovens need to be electrically operated only.

Going into the basics, we find that the baking process is required to drive the moisture out of the flux coating of low hydrogen electrodes. The stress is on a uniform, dry atmosphere of a constant temperature.

If the same is done by a gas heater, chances of moisture condensation will be there once the heater is put off. Most of the hydrocarbons when burn in the presence of air produce carbon-di-oxide and steam. This steam is superheated in nature and thus not noticed when it is hot.

Engineering sense says not to use gas fired baking ovens.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 07-26-2004 16:22
There was thread on this some time ago (2 years?). As was mentioned, the combustion by products of gas contain water vapor, exactly what you are trying to keep away from the rods by heating them. The heat source is not restricted, the hydrogen control is; but the codes don't dictate how to accomplish that.

You could use a gas heater to heat up some kind of a box but you must keep the rods isolated from the exhaust. Giovanni Crisi had sent me an article where that was done for rod storage in a remote location. Basically, a box within a box was fabricated with the inner box used to store the rods in. The outer box was fitted with a gas burner, thermostat, air intake and exhaust vents.
As I remember, engine fuel to run the generators all night was not as easy to come by as natural gas was.

Some have tried using engine exhaust in the same way. It will work until the engine is shut off and then you need another heat source. And temperature control is hard to control, so that really is not the most practical way to heat an oven.

Chet Guilford
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 08-05-2004 18:43
Thanks, Chet, for remembering about me.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 08-06-2004 13:11
You're welcome Giovanni. I appreciated that you took the time to mail that article to me. Many people would not have bothered themselves.

Chet Guilford
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Rod Oven