Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / cellulosic pipe welding tips
- - By KiwiTrev (*) Date 07-27-2004 00:01

By KiwiTrev On 16-Jul-04 21:23
[Edit] [Reply]

Hi all,
First time user here from down under in NZ, can anyone give a "dummies guide to cellulosic pipewelding",I have seen the terms "Flick & Stovepipe techniques" and references to the "Skunk position" but do ya think I can find any good descriptions on how to???
Any help appriciated!

Trev

Parent - By ajoy (**) Date 07-27-2004 07:24
Buy some 1/8'' Fleetweld 5+ electrodes from Lincoln to start with. prepare some coupons of 6'' or 8'' pup pieces with 60 deg. included angle, 1.6 mm root gap and 1 mm root face.

place the coupons in 5G ( pipe axis horizontal ) and start welding from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock position. this is called the stovepipe technique.

if you are a novice, let me tell you the current and speed as well. set current to 90 to 120 and try to weld downhill with a speed of 5 to 7 inches per min.

check the root every time you make a weld.
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 07-27-2004 13:04
KiwiTrev, Welcome to the forum!

As ajoy mentioned, the stovepipe technique is a vertical down using E6010 (cellulose electrode). Flick or flip refers to the method of tacking the joint to leave the smallest hole possible at the end of the tack. When the welder decides to end a tack, the pressure on the rod is increased and at the same time the rod is flipped out of the bevel with the other hand. The ends of the tack are ground. The root pass or stringer bead is welded with a drag technique. After the rod is started at the end of a tack, the rod is pushed against the bevel so that the arc is inside the pipe. The rod is pushed down and forward actually putting a slight bend in the rod. Pipeline welders develop a "feel" for pressure and travel speed to control penetration. (I've seen welders lift that pancake hood and talk to you while running the bead) I'm not sure about the "skunk position" but I would guess that it refers to the bottom of the joint. After the root is in, the bead welder(s) moves on to the next joint and a second welder(s) brushes/grinds the root before welding the hot pass. There are a variety of nicknames for the little suprises left for the hot pass welder, most can't be printed here. :>)
Parent - - By KiwiTrev (*) Date 07-28-2004 02:32
Thank you both for the replys,
how much penetration should you be looking for on the root (stringer) pass? How much of a drag should I use, I find that the bead wants to cling to one side of the prep sometimes do I need to oscillate the rod while holding it into the groove to fix this?
The hot pass & stripper runs - you go to a larger electrode yes, but do you stick to straight stringer beads or a weave?
Capping passes - how the hell do ya get these puppies looking good (Esp 6G) or is looks not important as long as the weld integrity is A1?Personally I would like to ge both!
The little surprises you are talking about, do you mean wagon tracks (undercut) & convex profile but by more interesting names???

Thank again
Trev
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 07-28-2004 14:41
The internal penetration averages 1/16”. The preparation of the land is critical. To thin will burn through, and too thick will not allow penetration. Any offset is distributed around the joint. A good starting point when developing your own “feel” would be a 1/16” space and land. Some welders will set the amperage for a drag technique using a flat plate, inclining the rod 50* or so in the direction of travel, and adjusting the amperage high enough so the arc does not go out when the rod is dragged along the surface. Most welders have a remote by their side so they can adjust the amps as needed during welding. There is no oscillation on the root pass. Travel speed will vary around the joint. Try watching the back of the weld pool and watch it flow up and tie in both bevels.

The hot pass is either weaved or whipped. The cap is also weaved, many use 3/16” rod. Another capping technique is the “J” method (it’s a type of whip). It a quick forward movement down on one bevel (about ½”) then depositing weld back toward the weld. The same technique is performed on the opposite bevel which looks like a “reverse J”. These caps are very flat and uniform. As you mentioned 6G capping is more difficult since the amount of gravity is not the same on the bevels. This is where practicing really comes in. Most welders recommend working the weld puddle from the high side of the bevel to the low side. All craftsmen are proud of their finished product and welders are no exception. Appearance will improve with time. It will help if you can watch someone and have them watch you and give pointers.

The little surprises I mentioned (which are by no means the norm, but they will happen from time to time) are in the form of: holes, bad tie-ins at tacks, holes, drop through areas, more holes and ropy stringers. The interesting nicknames I've heard are colloquial expressions, sometimes a little rude and crude and usually used around the boys.
Parent - By KiwiTrev (*) Date 07-29-2004 01:23
Thanks Thirdeye,
Will go to and see what improvments I can get with these tips,

trev
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / cellulosic pipe welding tips