Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / WPS for Quenched and Tempered Steel
- - By ziggy (**) Date 07-27-2004 13:58
Am I correct in thinking that in order to create a WPS for welding on quench and tempered steel (ie F1554 Gr 55) I will need to qualify the WPS since this material does not appear in D1.1:2004 Table 3.1?
ziggy
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 07-27-2004 14:31
Hi Ziggy,

Refer to 4.7, Essential Variables and look at 4.7.3. In part, it states that WPS's for base materials not listed in Table 3.1 or Annex M shall be qualified in conformance with Section 4. I don't know what your particular welding application is with these FI554 anchor bolts, but there are prohibited plug and slot welds in quenched and tempered steels with a specified minimum yield greater than 70 ksi. However it shouldn't effect your situation because of the 55 ksi yield (Grade 55) which you indicated.
Parent - - By ziggy (**) Date 07-27-2004 15:06
Thank you. I concur. Due to insufficient projection, the application is welding extensions onto the anchor rod to allow full thread engagement of the nut.
I just found out that the actual material is not F1554 Gr 55. Purchasing substituted with A193 Grade B7 (Min Yield 105 ksi)...now we are in the higher yield which per D1.1:2004 2.9.4 plug and slot welds are prohibited.
I wonder if anyone thought to get EOR approval for the substitution?
This feels like a Monday...
Thank you for the peer check.
ziggy
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 07-27-2004 16:03
Hi ziggy,

Also, look at 1.2 Limitations. Item (1) states in essence that the code was not intended for use for steels with a minimum specified yield strength greater than 100 ksi.
Welding may not be an option, particularly if high strength, heat treated bolts and nuts are used, and the bolts are subjected to tensile loads.
I don't know the extent of your situation, but the length of the bolts should be such that the end of the bolt should be at least flush with the outside face of the nut when properly installed. Although this statement is in the Specification for A325 and A490 bolts, the same criteria should apply to nuts on anchor bolts.
One way to extend anchor bolt lengths without welding is to provide threaded couplers. Another way is to consider limited carbon arc gouging (air arc) of the base plate surface under the nut to provide full thread engagement.
Of course, as you know, either way must be approved by the EOR, and consideration for anchor bolt resistance to uplift must be addressed.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-27-2004 16:53
Another thought along the lines of what Scott has stated in regards to thread engagement... We had to make some special coupling nuts to act as anchor nuts one time when the concrete sub set the anchor rods at an incorrect elevation and ended up with not enough stick through. We had to take the regular coupling nuts and machine (turned them on my father-in-law's lathe) about half of the length of the nut down to fit inside the oversize hole in the baseplate to allow for full thread engagement with a washer. We still had to seek approval from the EOR, but he gave his blessing. Just thought I would mention this as another option as it would save welding on those HS bolts.
John Wright
Parent - - By ziggy (**) Date 07-28-2004 17:49
Thanks for all the input. The EOR has okayed coupler nuts with extensions. Unfortunately he will not allow us to turn the nut down...we have to oversize the holes in the baseplate...thanks again...
ziggy

Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-29-2004 11:43
ziggy,
Great, glad it all worked out!
John Wright
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / WPS for Quenched and Tempered Steel