Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Question(s) from a Noob
- - By matttyrrell Date 07-29-2004 23:09
Wow! I am so amazed at the outpouring of support to one another on this message board! I am used to IT and computer BBs that tear you apart if you ask the wrong question; nice to be here. I am a 35 year old Information Technology manager in California. I make good money managing networks, but have longed to learn how to weld since I was 12 years old. I was turned onto computers through my Grandfather, and have worked hard to get my certs and keep my company 'Happy', but have always found myself wanting to weld. This year, I have made the decision to learn, and I will be taking classes at Los Medanos CC in Winter; can't wait! I have read alot of the advice from Welders on the boards, and become more and more excited as the days go by. I want to work towards my welding Cert, and I know this will take quite some time, as I have never welded in my life; a little solder, but that's it! Anyway, what would you guys think of someone like me being a welder, but probably never doing it for a living? I want to know and learn more than just a hobbyist (no offense to anyone), but don't want to be a poseur because I will probably never work in the field for a 'living'. Computers provide me a comfortable living and it is something I am good at. Plus, my wife would kill me if I gave it up and started at the bottom as a new welder, but I must become a welder, or this life I am living wont be complete. Any advice other than study, weld, study, weld, study.....? What would you suggest as a good starter MIG welder I could get some practice with in my garage? I know a GREAT electrician, and I am thinking of getting a 220 circuit put in - possibly. Sorry if this question has been repeated a million times, I JUST NEED TO KNOW! Thanks a,000,000!

Matt
Pittsburg, CA
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 07-29-2004 23:38
Matt:
Knock yourself out. Just be safe at all times.

Good trade to be in. The proof is in this forum.

Shop before you buy, buy only what you need. Many good brands on the market (we all have our favorite just like cars, etc., so don't ask the Red, Blue, Yellow or Purple question...)

Learn GMAW (MIG), SMAW (stick) and OFW/OFW (gas welding and cutting). Brazing wouldn't hurt either.

Good Luck 1MB. Be safe 1GB.

Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-30-2004 02:05
Welding and studying is about the best way. Find someone that has a little experience and get them to weld with you a few times. Maybe they could use a little IT help.

I wouldn't worry about being a poser. Just weld. There is a great deal of information on the internet including some videos that may be helpful.

As DGXL mentioned shop around a little. Some welding supplier may have demo machines setup at the shop you can try.

Have a nice day

Gerald Austin
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 07-30-2004 04:11
In my world a poseur is somebody who pretends an undeserved state. Lots of people are hobbyists and there is no shame in it. Many hobby welders are excellent welders. The 220 line gets you into a range of machines with much more usability than the 110 machines have, I recommend it. As stated above, welding supply places sometimes have machines set up that you can try, that can be a great help in making a choice.
have fun.
Bill
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 07-30-2004 13:11
My personal belief is that a person can learn to do anything they set their mind to and no apologies or explanations are needed. If nothing else, just having an understanding of how a welder makes a living is valuable information. It helps you to appreciate how all those buildings, bridges, and machines were put together.

You will get a lot of good advice here. One bit I would like to add right now is that when things don't go well, and you can't figure out what is wrong...go back to the basics. Then you will (usually) solve the problem.

Chet Guilford
Parent - - By matttyrrell Date 07-30-2004 15:26
Again, thanks a,000,000! Now on to some studying!

Matt
Parent - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 07-31-2004 12:11
Heck yes! Do it! It'll be fun and you may find yourself using the skill in ways you didn't plan on. I started welding here and there and although not an expert, I sometimes am a "hero" to friends with broken mower decks,and the like. Do get something that has some power though. I had a 120 volt to start and upgraded. This difference was stark. My millermatic 172 can weld anything I care to in steel. Remember that you will need some metalworking tools other than just a welder. Grinder,cutting tools,etc. Also keep safety in the forefront of things. The last thing you want is an accident. That's why a good class is not a bad idea, they should cover safety issues in a basic welding class.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Question(s) from a Noob