Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / Can you braze a vertical T-joint?
- - By RadiationBurn Date 08-01-2004 22:23
I read in a book, that if done properly, a brazed joint could actually be stronger than the rest of the steel!!! I don't see how that is, but okay. Now, I need a very strong joint on a truck-frame, but I am forced to do this vertically. I already tryed MIG welding it, but I did so bad I had to cut the bracket off and start over. I was wondering if I could possibly braze it. Does brazing work okay when done vertically? Also, this would basically be a "T-joint". Can you get good strength when brazing a T-joint? Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 08-02-2004 02:26
It is possible to design strong brazed joints, however this usually involves design that increases the wetted area so that a large area of brass is involved in the joint. It is unlikely that that is possible or practical here. A T joint with a fillet on both sides is unlikely to be sufficient. Brass is only about 1/3 as strong as mild steel, less for high strength steel.

Not knowing the specific application you first need to find out if this is possible at all. Many truck frames are of heat treated steel and the manufacturers consider them to be unweldable. If it is weldable and I were asked to do it I would prefer to stick weld it with a low hydrogen rod of the appropriate strength. If it is not weldable a bolt on design is in order. If it is not weldable your prior attempt at welding may have caused some damage.

Bill
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / Can you braze a vertical T-joint?