Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / CS A106Gr.B exposed to 450degC
- - By asarkar_kolkata (*) Date 08-03-2004 10:41
Dear All,

Dear All

I am a new member to this forum and probably the youngest one.

Is it feasible to use A106Gr.B pipeline in steam service, temp=450C, pressure=18 kg/sq.cm ? The same was already exposed to the condition for 18 months, will there be any change in metallurgy ?? Is it usable further ??Please give some information or useful URL links.

Thanks & Regards
Ananda Sarkar

Inspection Engineer
HPL, India
Ananda.Sarkar@hpl.co.in
Parent - By chall (***) Date 08-03-2004 15:46
My response is based on the assumption that ASME Section I is the governing code. You will need to verify this with the Jurisdictional authority where the installation is located.

ASME Section I design requires that the stress tables in ASME Section IID be used as the basis for determining the allowable wall thickness of materials (based on the MAWP at the maximum temperature).

You provided either operational parameters or design parameters. For the sake of this response, I'll assume they are design: MAWP 256psi , Max temperature 842F. If they are actually operating parameters, the results listed below are not valid (the actual results will be more restrictive).

Table 1A of Section IID (2001 edition, 2003 addenda) allows the use of SA106B, in Section I applications, at temperatures up to 1000F. Furthermore, at a temperature of 850F, the stress value allowed for calculating wall thickness is 8,700psi. It certainly appears that the material is suitable for the existing conditions.

There are some notes that may or may not apply to your situation. The best advice is to ask an engineer familiar with ASME codes to look into your specific situation.

Good luck.

Charles Hall

Parent - By chall (***) Date 08-03-2004 16:05
I did some more research after my initial posting and have the following additional information to offer.

ASME B31.1, Power Piping imposes more limiting restrictions on the use of carbon steel materials for piping. In short, for steam piping applications (not including discharge piping from relief valves), carbon steel material may not be used at temperatures exceeding 800F (general note [e] of Table A-1).

I have to admit it's the first time I have looked this closely at B31.1. In the past I have relied almost exclusively on Section IID for design information.

Charles Hall
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / CS A106Gr.B exposed to 450degC