Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Problems welding intercoolers...
- - By T0M (*) Date 08-05-2004 21:10
hello I am having a problem welding an intercooler. it seems no matter what I do I get some kind of rod contamination.

I have cleaned and cleaned both the tank and IC cores with stainless brushes and acetone. But it seems like no matter how I try to dip the rod to the puddle, as soon as I do, the middle of the puddle turns black and sooty. I am using a syncrowave 350lx with 100% argon shielding gas, I am using Zirconiated 1/8" tungsten and 1/8" er4043 rod. I have tried fluctuating the argon flow from 17cfm -35 cfm and the amperage from 150-210 with still the same problem.

Its funny, I can lean down to my test piece and weld fine and pretty but when I get back on the core, my filler rod just wont take to the puddle.

Any suggestions or tricks to dealing with ic cores? Is it possible that i need to use back gassing?

ANY help will be more than appreciated,
T0M
Parent - - By awill4wd (**) Date 08-06-2004 09:39
Tom, I build intercoolers part time here in Australia. When you say your having problems with the tanks and core I'm assuming that you mean the header plate assembly that the core tubes protrude from.
If so, then cleaning with stainless steel brush and acetone isn't sufficient. What is needed is to remove the surface finish on the header plate which is created when the core assembly is furnace brazed together. The only way to do this is careful grinding or filing. I prefer filing the plate back to the original material then the welding can be performed with few problems.
Regards Andrew.
Parent - - By T0M (*) Date 08-06-2004 16:09
thanks awill4wd, this is a bar and plate core, so the area you weld to is a bunch of stacked plates, I have welded half of it, I didnt contaminate the rod or tungsten any , but every time I dipped the rod I would get little black chars in the center of the puddle.

after welding the bottom endcaps on, I went back and filed the welds down smooth, the went over it with a Stainless steel Hand brush and then with a Stainless wire wheel.

then when I go back to weld, and once again every time I dipp the rod I get soot, but whats odd is I can just run over the filed down weld with the pulsed torch and it looks perfect.
Why would the contamination only show up when I dip the rod?

Btw I have tried rods dipped in acetone, wire brushed and sanded and dippd in acetone, with the same result.

In prepping the bar and plate tank i put two pieces of 1/4" flat bar on each side of the surface to be welded (to protect the charge face and ambient face fins). this leaves only the edge exposed. I used a SS brush with firm, long, slow, deliberate strokes until it was very very shiny, then wiped in acetone.

Are you backgassing your endtanks? I havent tried that yet and I was thinking maybe the heat on the surface was sucking air through the weld. But really I am clenching at straws right now. :(

Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-06-2004 17:13

Tom,

Back purge won't help in your case. However, if you are penetrating thru to a back side that is not as clean as the front than you will have problems.

Your "little chars" sound like one of two things. Bad gas or insufficient cathodic cleaning action on the reverse polarity side of the half cycle.

What are your balence control settings? Your synchrowave 350 has a balence control from 1-10 if your setting is 7 or above back it down one step at a time and see if there is any difference.

If your test piece is wrought and your intercooler is a casting you may very well have different balence control requirements to get a clean weld.

If your argon was bad your aluminum test piece would be bad also. I have encountered contaminated argon that was such that you mild steel and stainless would appear normal while aluminum would look very bad.

anyhow, let us know how it goes.
Parent - By T0M (*) Date 08-06-2004 19:26
thanks for the info, I will adjust the balance and see what happens..

Also Is it possible that there can be bad "spots" in an argon tank? Because I have noticed a pattern that when i get halfway down On my argon I will see problems... but then It may just be me thinking so..

Thanks
Parent - - By awill4wd (**) Date 08-07-2004 06:54
Tom, bar & plate cores are even worse to weld than tube & fin because you don't know just how they have been put together and what process they have used to "bond" all the plates together.
Even on bar & plate I/coolers I build I still file the surface back to clean metal. I place a plate alongside where I want to file so I don't damage the core fins and get it right back to bare metal, it's easy to see as it's nice and shiny.
If it's a particularly dirty weld, which can occur, I will then place a cap weld over the top after cleaning the weld back with either a file or a tungsten carbide cutting wheel (very careful when using this).
If it's a "dirty" core I'll use 4043 or 4047 filler which seems to have nice wetting at the edges if it's all clean I'll use 5356 filler.
I also like using gas lenses, I seem to get better gas coverage with them and I use approx 7.5 litres to 9 litres gas flow measured at the torch not at the gauge. (We're metric here in Oz, I don't how that equates to CFM)
Regards Andrew.
Parent - - By T0M (*) Date 08-07-2004 14:54
I didnt know how rewelding aluminum over and over on the same weld affects the strength, but I am glad to hear that its ok to grind down smooth and weld over , because this Is what am forced to do (because Of improper cleaning I suppose.)

I have always heard the reweld 304 Stainless weakens the weld but I didnt know if rewelding 6061 aluminum weakens it.

I am new at this and am just worried this thing might not hold the intended pressure now.

Thanks
Parent - By awill4wd (**) Date 08-08-2004 02:06
Tom, with the pressures you'll probably run at you'll never break it. The only problems I've ever witnessed, (from other intercooler manufacturers) is when they use too thin a plate for the endtanks and grind/sand the welds down to get a smooth finish. I have seen endtanks split when done this way.
For this reason I like to use 2.5mm to 3mm alum plate, I fabricate them then I weld the inside of the tanks then attach them to the core and weld the outside. I pulse weld mine as I've worked out a really nice procedure in which the welds look fantastic and I never sand them off as I like my intercoolers to have that "custom" look.
Regards Andrew.
Parent - - By Malcolm (*) Date 08-07-2004 04:05
What is the alloy or alloys are you welding on?

Are you running AC or DC?

17 cfm to 35 cfm? Do you mean cfh? 35 cfh is a lot for TIG and could be causing a problem. Too much gas flow can cause air to get sucked into you shielding gas. 12 to 15 cfh might be perfectly adequate.

That black soot is a combination of aluminum and magnesium oxides (depending on alloy). There are a lot of possibilities: contaminated base metal, filler metal, or shielding gas; technique, etc.

You might want to etch the base metal before welding to be sure you have removed all the oxides. It wouldn't hurt to clean the filler rod the same way you clean the base metal.
Parent - - By T0M (*) Date 08-07-2004 14:50
I meant cfh, sorry lol.

when you say etch the base metal, do you mean file it ?
Parent - By Malcolm (*) Date 08-08-2004 03:21
Etching means applying an appropriate acid long enough to chemically remove the oxides on the surface of the aluminum. Then you rinse off the acid, dry the metal and weld it before the oxide has time to reform.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Problems welding intercoolers...