Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / vertical up test
- - By bogieman84 (*) Date 08-05-2004 23:46
what is used more in a vertical up MIG test, a few stringers or weaves.
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 08-06-2004 12:43
Hi bogieman84,

Since you are fighting gravity, the voltage and amperage is normally reduced 10-15% from the settings for the same weld in the flat position. For vertical up welding, a triangular weave or a slight weaving motion is normally used, while welding a shelf at the bottom of the joint and adding layer upon layer. In other words, don't get too creative with your movement. I've seen some guys learning to weld vertical up and they look like they're trying to write a letter to Santa Claus. Don’t whip or take the electrode out of the molten pool. Point the electrode slightly upward so that arc force helps control the puddle. The travel angle of the gun is a 5 to 15 degree drop from the perpendicular position. Travel slow enough to maintain the shelf without spilling. You will probably get other suggestions, but just keep in mind that what works for someone else may not work for you.
Parent - By bogieman84 (*) Date 08-06-2004 15:05
thank you but that only helped alittle bit of my ? that triangle is only one pass. iv heard to do a triangle then x-mas tree then the double J. and other people say do just do a bunch of stringers
Parent - - By Malcolm (*) Date 08-07-2004 03:47
Are you inquiring about fillet or groove weld, and if groove weld, open root or with a backing bar?
Parent - - By jefftl Date 08-07-2004 14:17
the test plate with the backing plate. im wanting to know about filling the whole groove in not just the root pass
Parent - - By Malcolm (*) Date 08-08-2004 03:14
OK, I am assuming you are using short circuit mode on steel...

It really comes down to what works for you. There is generally no need to use one weave for the root, another for filler passes, and yet another for the cap.

If your machine is dialed in right, you ought to be able to use a Z-weave for all the passes. The weave just gets wider as you deposit successive passes. The key thing is pausing long enough at each side of the weave to tie the bead into the side of the base metal and/or previous bead. Or if a C or J weave works better for you, use it.

If the machine is set too hot, you may have trouble controlling the molten pool with just a Z-weave. Then you might want to switch to a C or J-weave. The action of moving up the bevel face momentarily gives the molten pool a chance to cool down and start to solidify and maintain a shelf to build on.

It kind of sounds like you may have the cart in front of the horse. You are asking about welding a test plate before you know the basics. Are you trying to certify to get or keep a job? If you are, I understand the pressure to certify. But in the long run, you will be better off if you get a solid foundation before trying to certify.
Parent - By jefftl Date 08-08-2004 05:31
you are basically saying the same thing as im asking. but i do the triangle for the root then the x-mas tree then the double J. yes i do know how to weld very well i have done and certified on tests but im trying to get info from other people. just to see what everyone is doing these days
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 08-08-2004 06:22
I'm seeing stringers specified more often for test coupons these days. Most likely due to heat input, less chance of cold lap and better appearance on the cap. You should use whatever method works well for you as long as you get good results and if a particular technique or restriction is not stated in a procedure.
Parent - - By vonash (**) Date 08-17-2004 19:12
If you run stringers and you pass, then OK. I prefer running weave on vertical; but then, I am not you.
Parent - - By bogieman84 (*) Date 08-20-2004 04:49
thats what i do and will always do. the place i work at now basically makes you run VERY hot so they spot weld all the way up when they do vertical ups. sure its easy but its not nearly as strong
Parent - - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 08-20-2004 11:19
Some food for thought and it is only my opinion, but I have always believed that if you need to run vertical up with short arc mig to achieve the necessary penetration, than you are using the wrong process. Think about short arcs limitations and potential problems, compare it to a Flux Cored wire and see if you don't agree. Have a nice day.

Mike Sherman
Shemans Welding
Parent - By BillM (*) Date 08-24-2004 18:10
You may also consider running a dual shield wire with CO2 it will freeze the wire and you can run either stringers or weave it doesn't matter with this wire and shielding. I have used both techniques with equal success.
Bill McBride
Technical Rep.
Quimby Welding
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / vertical up test