Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.1 and D1.5 with one set of coupons
- - By JTMcC (***) Date 08-06-2004 21:06
I know it's possible to qualify welders to both D1.1 and D1.5 with one test. Does anyone know where we might find an example of a set of WPS's that cover both?
Does D1.5 allow for RT only, or are bend test's required?
We are a small company that primarily welds pipe, but we do structural work here and there. All our welders are qualified to D1.1 and D1.5 in SMAW. We would like to test a couple of welders to both codes with FCAW, I know the testing lab can do this for us but I would rather they not.
The possibility of a D1.5 requirement has been sprung on us rather unexpectedly.
Not to appear too greedy : ), but does anyone know how difficult it would be to qualify welders to D1.1, D1.5 and ASME at one time?

regards,
JTMcC
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 08-06-2004 21:54
What you are describing is not hard to do. It is possible to qualify to all 3 codes simultaneously, our company does that. Having said that I have to say that I don't use ASME much. So my comments will address D1.1 & D1.5 and I will leave ASME details to those who understand it better than I do.
Generally, any WPS that complies with D1.5 will comply with D1.1, so I would write the WPS accordingly.
D1.5 FCAW welding will require a PQR to qualify the WPS(s). ASME PQRs do not automatically comply with D1.5, unless all the requirements are satisfied. But I think ASME and D1.1 are compatible?

Low-hydrogen SMAW is pre-qualified with both D1.5 and D1.1.

The bends tests are the same in both codes. D1.5 requires RT AND bend tests only for Fracture Critical qualification. RT may be used in lieu of bend tests for non- FC qualifications.

The actual testing is a little different, depending on how you look at it. D1.5 (5.21.5) requires that no power tools be used, hand tools only. Cleaning must be done in position and the test must be witnessed. D1.1 doesn't directly talk about those items.

Hope that helps out,
Chet Guilford
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 08-07-2004 15:58
OK, my understanding is there are no prequalified procedures for FCAW in D1.5?

Can I or another company representative witness the test's?

Looks like I'm going to have to buy a copy of D1.5, I'd rather not just to test 2 or 3 welders tho.

If anyone has an example of the three WPS that will work to qualify to all three codes (or even the two - D1.1 and D1.5) that they can refer me to, or e mail or fax to me It would be very helpfull.

Thanks!
JTMcC.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 08-09-2004 16:26
Correct; FCAW is not prequalified in D1.5. Another overlooked requirement is that the brand of wire is an essential variable, and electrode size.

Whoever is designated by your company as the "knowledgeable welding poerson", "test administrator" or whatever you want to call them is just fine. Note that D1.5 PQRs require a third party witness unless waived by the customer. (Might as well have it witnessed anyway ' cause you will want to use the samr PQR for other customers.)
Another factoid, D1.5 PQRs are only good for 5 years (3 years for Fracture Critical)

I strongly recommend that you do get a copy of D1.5. There are a lot of little "nuances" that are easy to overlook. Such as Carbon Equivalency of the test plate, min/max heat inputs, small differences in technique, and so on. You will want to mark up your own copy.
Another often overlooked point, if you will be qualifying fillet welds, you ought to run your filet test first to establish your groove parameters. Up to and including 5/16" horizontal fillets must be made in one pass with FCAW. It is not unusual for a groove PQR to qualify a heat input too low to accomplish that.

As I said, if you can qualify to D1.5, the other codes should be gravy.
Chet Guilford
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 08-09-2004 16:54
Chet,
I got a copy of the ASME code this weekend, and it looks like we will be getting the D1.5 as well.
I would like to start testing our welders in house (and get the maximum number of qualifications from each test weld). We are pretty small but I think we can properly move into this area.
Thanks for the advise,

JTMcC.
Parent - - By torchio Date 08-09-2004 21:26
Gents: Any comments on using ASME PQR's for AWS D1.6 qualifications for non listed material.

A subsidiary is welding an absorber that has about every odd ball material there is in it: 2205 to 2550, 2205 to 256SMo, 2205 to 10276 10276 to A588. We have ASME pqr's for group to group to cover but feel that we have to do actual material specific to material specific for AWS D1.6.

Anyone faced this problem before without re qualing each combination?
PT
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 08-09-2004 21:44
I'm sorry, but I don't have much of an ASME background so I can't give you a definite answer. Our ASME qualifications are handled by other in our company ( I don't even have my own current copy of ASME Sec IX)

From what you describe, I'm thinking D1.6 won't cover all the combinations you want to weld. D1.6 is a structural code that isn't as flexible as ASME is.
Hopefully someone who is well versed in those codes can respond to you. All I can offer is generic advice you already know. That is to check out both codes and tailor your qualifications to address the them.

Chet Guilford
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.1 and D1.5 with one set of coupons