Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / Solder / Braze SS to SS on Brew Kettle
- - By myx Date 08-07-2004 04:53
Hello everyone,
I am a homebrewer who is very interested in welding and needs to fix a kettle for brewing. The riveted handles on the brewing kettle (stainless steel pot) that I own leak. I am trying to figure out how to fix the problem. I have a heat gun that goes up to 1050 degrees F. I have looked somewhat into silver solder but do not know much about it, and if I would be able to fix the leak using it. Would I be able to perform this with a heat gun? If so what percentage silver should I look for in the silver solder I purchase. Please keep in mind that it must be food grade and be able to withstand at least 220 degrees F (which I'm sure will not be a problem).
I have also spent some time looking into the Bernzomatic setups. Would any of these work, and would they work better than the heat gun? If so which ones, propane, mapp, or a mixture with oxygen? Also any tips on what types of fluxes I should use (if any) for my project?
As I stated before I am very interested in learning how to weld, but I need to have this fixed soon so that I can resume brewing. Would I be better off to have the leaking handles welded at some sort of weld shop and how much would this run me? There are 4 rivets per handle, and two handles on the kettle. I truely appreciate anyone's suggestions, tips, advice, and their time.

Thanks
- Mike
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 08-08-2004 08:54
Grandpa would have taken a small punch (or set) and a hammer and worked the edges of the inside heads of the rivets to tighten them against the inside of the kettle. Could be refered to as caulking the rivet heads. Put something heavy against the outside of the rivet as you work (the bucking bar if you are interested in terminology) otherwise the side of the kettle will just bounce and nothing will be accomplished. If this fails, and I have fair confidence it will not, I would have somebody who welds stainless weld the rivet heads to the inside of the kettle (or remove the handles close the rivet holes and weld the handles on).

The space between the rivets and the kettle will by now contain residue of beer (or soy sauce or whatever you make) and oxide of the stainless, enough to make solder or braze difficult, and even if successful, if the solder shows on the inside of the kettle you introduce the food grade concerns that you mentioned and galvanic corrosion concerns that you didn't.

This doesn't sound too expensive to me (maybe $50) but I'm not standing there looking at it. Quite likely you could trade the work for some of your soy sauce.
Bill
Up Topic Welding Industry / Processes / Solder / Braze SS to SS on Brew Kettle