Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / welding galvinized to stainless
- - By campro Date 08-10-2004 02:10
I have been asked to write a procedure for welding galv CQ to 304 stainless steel wondering if anybody has done this before? any help would be greatly appreciated.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-10-2004 12:05
While this procedure is entirely possible, it is STRONGLY recommended against doing so ~ at least without COMPLETE removal of the galvanized coating. Zinc and stainless steel are not a good combination and you could expect very significant corrosion in and adjacent to the weld area(s). Have you ever heard of galvanic corrosion? This combination would be a prime example of where it could be expected.
Parent - By shastry Date 01-07-2005 06:59
I agree with all your comments, except that Galvanic corrosion has nothing to do SINGLY with Zinc.Galvanization and Galvanic corrosion are two different things.Galvanic corrosion can occur on the contact between two dissimilar metals, even between CS to SS, or CS to Cu-Ni.It has nothing to do with presence or absence of Zinc.
Thank You.
-Shastry-
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-07-2005 12:44
I must have missed this in Aug. This will cause cracking. These cracks will be VERY small and probably not visible to the eye but you can try it out with dye penetrant inspection.

Have a good day

GA
Parent - - By franck (*) Date 01-21-2005 11:27
Hi
It is possible to weld it.
GMAW soldering or GTAW soldering.
Use CUSi3 welding wire in puls mode.
Or the other chance is to us Cu Al 8.
We use this also for s.s./s.s. products.
You have a low heat input - that is done every day in the German automotive production.
Frank
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-22-2005 00:40
Is it soldered or welded ?
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 01-22-2005 03:24
SS and galvanized sheet materials are commonly brazed to manufacture sanitary/kitchen equipment where elevated temps. of liquids and heating elements are involved. They are brazed (>840*F) using silicon bronze filler materials (AWS A5.7-XX). Typically used to join the dissimilar materials. This was one of my first tasks as a 1st time TIG welder back in 1975.

Beads look nice and pretty (shiny orange, yellow or straw) when the optimum brazing temp. and shielding are maintained by the gas tungsten arc process. I keep some downstairs for the models I build with scrap, nuts/bolts, rod and wire.

Overheating the joint often results in a failed operation due to the intermixing of the base metal and the primarily copper-based filler metal not intended for this type of application.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-22-2005 04:22
No flux needed ? I had used Silicon Bronze and Nickel Aluminum Bronze but it was in the repair of bronze castings and propellers.

Used it for brazing with OXYfuel but I need to try it with a tig rig .

Parent - By franck (*) Date 01-22-2005 09:06
It is welded!
We call it MIG soldering or TIG soldering.
We use argon. We use CuSi 3 or CuAl 8.
In TIG (GTAW) we work in AC mode.
In MIG (GMAW) we work in DC mode puls or non puls.
Sent me you email adress and than I will show you what can be done.
All car bodies in Germany are welded that way - even security parts class A.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / welding galvinized to stainless