Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / welding type for bridge
- - By azmi Date 08-10-2004 08:43
i have some information request about welding for bridge:

1. What are the types of welding commonly used in bridge construction?

2. What the standard/procedures for the welding types?

3. what are the type of welding testing commonly used for the welding types?

website or online information also aprreciated..

Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 08-10-2004 18:57
The site of the American Institute of Steel Construction (www.aisc.org) has plenty of information that can be either downloaded for free or bought as standards or recommended practices.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By Malcolm (*) Date 08-11-2004 01:35
Wow, the answers to your questions could fill books. Just a start...

1. SMAW, FCAW, SAW, etc.

2. One standard is AWS D1.5 Bridge Welding Code. Check the AWS site for information on how to order.

3. VT, UT, MT, RT, etc. plus destructive tests like tensile, Charpy v-notch, hardness tests, etc. when qualifying procedures, etc.
Parent - By azmi Date 08-17-2004 09:28
i guess i will got A+ for this welding subject if i got all the info ..lol

Parent - By Sean (**) Date 08-11-2004 13:37
In Canada we use similar welding and testing processes as mentioned in the previous reply. Our welding and design standards are CSA W47.1, CSA W59, CSA S6 (for Highway Bridges).

You may also want to try the United States Federal Highway Administration's website for more bridge related info. There website is http://www.fhwa.dot.gov

-Sean
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 08-11-2004 16:07
What are you trying to accomplish with the information you asked for? That might help in our better understanding and answering of your question.

Chet Guilford
Parent - - By azmi Date 08-17-2004 09:25
hi....
actually i am a mech eng student and now i need to do the analysis about the welding that be used in bridge construction. I do know that there are many types of welding applied in bridge construction such as Akashi Bridge in Japan and Golden Gate in US. Each joining process for different sections of bridge like the tower, the frame of the bridge, the base..require different types of welding. I need all informations about the welding types, testing method, standard. if u can help me, i will appreciate it..
Parent - By NEQA (**) Date 02-04-2005 21:06
Azmi.......go to the AWS home page and read the article regarding the Triboro Bridge.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / welding type for bridge