Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ASME Sect. IX Bend Test Jig
- - By gerold (*) Date 08-10-2004 12:59
My question is in reference to QW-466.1 Test Jig Dimensions. I want to know what my dimensions should be if I have a P1 material with less than 20% elongation (14% elongation-SA-414 Grade G)? The weld test coupon is 0.125" thick. It is my understanding that I would use the bottom row of the chart: "All others with less than 20% elongation" and then go to column A, the dimension is 32 7/8t, max.
The thickness of the specimen "t" = (see note b) which give two formula's. If I put my information into the formula and solve for "A" I come up with a plunger size of approx. 3/4". What I do not understand is what does the "t," stand for when multiplied by 32 7/8. I assume that the specimen thickness "t" is different from "t," which is only listed in the bottom row of the table. Any help?

Thanks,
Chris
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 08-10-2004 16:06
Your "A" is correct. (.768"). I think the "t" in the bottom row of the table is just stating the maximum allowable, for when the specified elongation of the material gets really low. At your t = 1/8" the maximum allowable "A" (4.1") would give an outer fiber elongation of about 3%. You are obviously way above this, so only "Note b" would apply to your situation.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ASME Sect. IX Bend Test Jig