Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Boxing of attachments AWS D1.1
- - By - Date 09-28-2000 00:47
I have an issue with a client about attachments/stiffeners? We have a formed part that is made of 1/4" material. There are four (what I call stiffeners) that are made from 1/4" material, and are 1 1/4" wide, and 24" long. The four stiffeners are welded to the material with the 1/4" width on the material, and the 1 1/4" width perpendicular. They are evenly spaced as to add support for the formed part. The weld symbol on the drawing shows a continuous fillet weld down both sides (24"). We welded it solid down both sides down to the very ends. The client insists that this part is an attachment, and that we should have stopped the weld at least 1/8" from the end of the part, and he referred me to AWS D1.1 2.4.7.1. I could not find a definition for attachment in the standard welding terms and definitions AWS A3.0. Can anyone help with the term of attachment?
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 10-12-2000 00:01
The D1.1 code specifys that the length and disposition of the welds shall be indicated on the drawings. Based on the information given in your question, if the client wanted the welds terminated in a specific manner, this should have beed noted in the design/detail drawing. See AWS A2.4-98.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Boxing of attachments AWS D1.1