Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Belco 180amp dc/engine drive alternator
- - By welderman (*) Date 08-14-2004 00:17
Hi everyone, I have a Belco 180 amp. dc. engine drive, alternator/weld
er, I started to weld some 5/16 angle with 1/8in 7018, it would bearly
stay lit, even when I turned it up all the way. So I put an amp gauge &
voltmeter at the terminals and only got max 125-135amps and 17-22vo
lts, wide open rpm and reostat at 180amp. when welding. This is an alternator/2 belts, that don't appear to be slipping, I did not see any
broken wires or anything loose or burnt. This welder was made about
15 years ago in New Mexico, the company is no more, for anyone with
any knowledge on this. thanks. Bill.
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 08-14-2004 04:06
As a first guess look for a bad rectifier diode. You will have to isolate one end of the rectifier, then test with an ohmeter. Should be really high resistance one way, low the other way. There are probably 6 of them, three of each polarity. Tell us what you find.
Bill
Parent - By welderman (*) Date 08-17-2004 01:43

Thanks for the response Bill, I'm slow in response because I don't
get on the internet everyday, but I'll try to get it apart tomorrow, test
it and let you know, Thanks, William.
Parent - By dwsanderson Date 09-07-2004 01:25
I've just gone through getting one of their hydraulic welders working, off my farm tractor. They're now in Woodbury, Tennessee: Belco Products, Inc., 205 Alexander Dr., Woodbury TN 37190, 615-563-4060, and I got a bit of help via a phone call, though have not been able to get a manual for this thing yet. I can't make out if they're still selling new units or not; appears to have reduced to repairs etc. They had a Web site up until a couple of weeks ago, which is where I got the contact information; it seems to have disappeared. Best of luck.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Belco 180amp dc/engine drive alternator