Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / What is the Cert. by ASNT "ACCP"?
- - By Joseph Landers Date 08-17-2004 17:53
Can someone tell me the value of the program that is sponsored by ASNT, in their certification program called ACCP ??? I have researched the ASNT site and they do not mention it. And yet PDQNDT has a client in New York that requires all CWI's to have this cert.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-24-2004 12:24
I'm curious what methods of inspection do they require the CWI to have as there are several?
The ACCP VT(visual inspection) Level II and a CWI are essentially the same other than an eye test. A more stringent eye exam is required for the ACCP VT Level II than for the CWI eye exam. ASNT had offered a transition period for CWI's that has since ran out, that allowed CWI's to transtion into a ACCP Level II VT because of the similarities of the two certifications without further testing. Future renewals will be tested as usual, so I understand. Several CWI's on the forum have taken this transition (myself included) and were wondering, after the fact, if is this cert will ever benefit any of us. I'm taking it that by your question, it may be of some benefit to CWI's in your area.
John Wright
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-24-2004 12:32
John; I registered for and received the ACCP VT only because I am involved in the nuclear industry and certain ASME Codes require ASNT certification in order to perform VT. Well, as it turns out, it really didnt do for me what I hoped as now, even with the ACCP VT my QA Vice President says it is no good without testing and LIII certification. Doubt very much I will bother renewing.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-24-2004 12:44
Don't get me wrong, as I'm not in any complete disagreement, but didn't you test as a CWI to become a CWI( I remember it was quite an ordeal for me, it was several hours worth of questions and hands on, then sweating for over eight weeks before finding out the results)?, therefore you didn't obtain the transistion completely without any testing whatsoever. I think the LIII is correct if there were "never" any testing and a cert was issued in that regard.
more of your thoughts and discussion are welcomed,
John Wright
Parent - - By NDTIII (***) Date 08-24-2004 17:18
AWS-CWI is a certified welding inspector certification, whereas, ACCP VT is a visual and optical testing certification. I have Level III VT ACCP however, I have to have AWS or CSWIP to be a welding inspector. The ACCP certification does not qualify me as a welding inspector.
Why the client in NY requires it, is beyond me. Maybe they want inspectors to inspect other things besides welds.
I believe, it could, however, qualify you as a mechanical inspector. Maybe that's why.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-25-2004 12:07
John; I too agree that there should be some form of testing, it should't just be a "gimme" however if thats the stance industry takes then one needs to look at the intent of the certification to begin with... was it initiated with the intent of being a truly valid program or was it started just as another revenue source?
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-25-2004 12:59
...."then one needs to look at the intent of the certification to begin with... was it initiated with the intent of being a truly valid program or was it started just as another revenue source?"

You make a very good point. Good question, it does make you wonder.
John Wright
Parent - By dlmann (**) Date 08-25-2004 14:43
check out http://www.asnt.org/certification/levelii/index.htm It may not explain "why" but it explains "what"
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 08-25-2004 17:38
Here is a link to an article that appeared in Inspection Trends with another opinion to consider on central certification. The author is very well known in the NDT community.

http://www.infraspection.com/thermography/ir_centralized_certification.html

Parent - By Joseph Landers Date 08-25-2004 18:43
Hey Guys,
It is a true pleasure to be able to ask a question and to have it so well answered and so completely dealt with.
I have read all of the information on the original question on ACCP Certification and have concluded that if I was Young and in my prime, I would certainly (If I had the Money) try to gain all of the certifications that are availible.
But, the need of ASNT AND AWS to get together, would go a long way in resolving confusion in the Inspectors' mind as well as in the construction industries' mind, as to WHAT IS REQUIRED AND ACCEPTED.
Thanks again for your good answers.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / What is the Cert. by ASNT "ACCP"?