Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / D1.1 QUESTION
- - By emljr (*) Date 08-19-2004 13:56
SPECIFICS:
1/8" E7018
3G UPWARD PROGRESSION
BUTT JOINT (B-U2a)

BACKGROUND;
SPLICING LOAD CARRYING W-SHAPES ( W-24 AND BETTER)

QUESTION:
WHAT IS THE MAXIMUN WEAVE WIDTH FOR THIS SIZE ROD IN THIS POSITION?
IS THERE A D1.1 REFERENCE TO SAY AS MUCH?

DID I GIVE ENOUGH INFORMATION?

THANK YOU.
Parent - - By BillM (*) Date 08-19-2004 16:50
A little more ingormation please size of base metal, root opening etc.
Parent - By emljr (*) Date 08-19-2004 17:36
O.K.
ASSUME A W24 X 104 WHICH HAS A WEB THICKNESS OF .500"
ROOT = .250"
GROOVE ANGLE = 45 DEGS

i KEEP HAVING THIS THOUGHT THAT THE MAXIMUN WIDTH OF A WEAVE IS 4 TIMES THE DIAMETER OF THE ROD NOT INCLUDING FLUX COVERING.
WHICH WOULD MEAN THAT WITH A 1/8 ROD THE MAX WEAVE WIDTH IS 1/2"
Parent - - By rhoople47 (**) Date 08-23-2004 13:10
Yes there is. D1.1-2004. Take a look at Tbl. 3.7 page 71. You'll find an answer to that, and maybe some other questions you might have on the requirements.
Parent - - By emljr (*) Date 08-25-2004 11:26
When conducting a safety walk down I was also looking at weldments. I started talking to the weldor who was engaged in connecting two back-to-back staggered C Channels to one W 24. The back of one Channel acted as the backing strip for the groove weld with the same channel being fillet welded to the opposite side of the w-24.
I ask him what rod size he used as the weld was already completed.
He informed me that he used 3/32 for the root and fill passes for the first 4 passes. After that he switched to 1/8 rod and started to use the weave technique all the way out. His cap pass was a good inch+ wide. What got me interested at first was the transition from flat to vertical to overhead. The flanges were welded with stringers, but the transition to vertical was weave. There were no Weep holes so this gives me concern due to the fact that the corner of the flange to web is a crucial area for defects (discontinuities). Of course the weldor assured me that he took every precaution to fill the corner in clean, but my question is simply wouldn't it have been more prudent and less cumbersome to continue the stringer from flat to vertical?
I know there is a D1.1 reg. for welding around (or through) the corner and NOT stopping at the corner.
The weldment will be UT, but visually it is discomforting to say the least, as this platform will be spanning a open area of atleast 190 feet.
I have not had the opportunity to talk to the CWI at this time, so I hope that I am not out of line here.
I will comment more once I engage the CWI.
Parent - By vonash (**) Date 08-26-2004 03:11
I don't think you have a problem.
Check with your CWI if you have a concern.
I wager the CWI has access to the WPS.
If the welder is qualified, welding within the WPS parameters, and the CWI accepts the work, I would say leave well enough alone.
However, if the weld passes inspection and you are really uncomfortable with the design you should RFI the responsible engineer for disposition.
Hope this helps,
Vonash
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / D1.1 QUESTION