Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / need help with cast iron welding
- - By - Date 09-28-2000 15:55
I have been making repairs on cast iron gear housings for a couple of months in my shop. Everything i have done has been holding pretty well until the most recent machine. For some reason the welds have been cracking. The first time i welded this unit i used the S.M.A.W process with Ni99 rods. We did'nt notice the crack until we had the gear housing back on the machine(btw, these are 60 year old Acme Screw machines) and the gears in place. it was a hair line crack on a bearing bracket i had welded on it, i then used the G.T.A.W process using a rod by Eurecka called 5545, which is a copper nickle rod, after i made several small stringer beads to patch up the crack, it cracked again in other places besides the previous crack. I pre and post-heated, and now am stumped. I am sure the cracks are due to a fast cooling but there really isn't a way to stop that from happening.( no oven ) Does someone have an idea for me????? I really need a solution to this probled fast!!!!!!!
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 09-28-2000 16:31
Not knowing alot about your situation is a handicap but I will offer you an idea I have used on some tough cast iron repairs.
I have drilled a serious of holes along each side of the area to be repaired and drove little SS self taping screws. The kind they use to put Name plaques on machines (they have rounded heads and look like rivets) any way I then TIGed them together with 309. Not a pretty repair but it held things together.
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 09-29-2000 13:10
A few years ago, I repaired several cast iron pump impellar housings that were cracking around the footings. The first thing I did was to drill the ends of the crack all the way through with a 1/4" bit. Then I used a 1/8" cutting disc on a side grinder to dig out the crack, cutting in from both sides, creating a double bevel. Before welding, I would preheat the entire housing to approx 500 deg. F, and preheat the repair area plus a few inches until it was a dull red in color. In between passes, I would re-heat. I had a helper keep the entire housing hot (using a rosebud) the whole time. I used SMAW with an electrode called "Castalloy". I don't remember the manufacturer, but I've seen it alot down here in Louisiana.
After I finished welding I would bury the housing in a box of warm sand.
I made a steel box with a hinged top and a propane burner underneath to heat the sand. It's important to let the sand heat up for a couple hours before you put the part in as you want to be sure that any moisture has evaporated. I would leave the burner on for a couple hours after I put the housing in, and then let it cool off overnight. The only one that re-cracked was one that I rushed and did'nt remove the entire crack to begin with. It never pays to get in a hurry, especially with cast iron!
Anyway, that's not a very technical process, but it works.
Good Luck,
Tim
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / need help with cast iron welding