Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Converting a truck to a trailer
- - By THANATOS (*) Date 08-26-2004 00:26
I have a 1983 Ford Ranger that no longer runs and I want to convert the bed into a trailer. Does anyone have a drawing for this kind of project? Any help would be appreciated!
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 08-26-2004 03:23
Somewhere I've seen this done with a much older truck. As I recollect the maker used the truck frame up to about the front of the cab, notched the flanges at the front of the bed, bent the rails together, installed the hitch, and rewelded the notches. There may have been some other reenforcement that I don't remember.
Bill
Parent - - By THANATOS (*) Date 08-26-2004 04:24
Thank-you! I will give it a shot.When I get done I'll let you know how it went!
Parent - By kawgomoo (*) Date 06-22-2005 02:15
dude

weld a bar between the frame rails somewhere under the drive seat ish area. maybe right under the cab to bed line. when you cut the frame this will keep everything straight and aligned. now just attach your trailer tongue to the frame rails and your done. yuou can remove the straight brace once the tongues welded up or just leave it..

whateva.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Converting a truck to a trailer