Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Splicing Anchor Bolts
- - By MICHAEL B (*) Date 08-26-2004 12:20
Can anyone tell me where i can find information or guidelines for splicing anchor bolts. I have looked in D1.1, ASTM Standard and RCSC and have found nothing.
Thanks,
Michael
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-26-2004 13:02
http://aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?id=5588#25766
There was a discussion on the forum that was about welding on anchor bolts and the use of coupler nuts and some other ideas. might help.
John Wright

edit: you didn't mention the grade of bolt, might watch out for the grade, A307's are welded quite regularly but HS bolts are heat treated and welding destroys those properties.
Parent - By qcmike (**) Date 09-16-2004 20:58
Sounds like you have quite the dilema. JW is right, you need to be very careful when welding anchor bolts due to the heat treatment. Sorry, I don't have many answers to help your problem. Except, could you use possibly a coupler nut and another piece of rod? It's a stretch I know.

Mike
Parent - - By waynekoe (**) Date 09-17-2004 02:27
Ultimately, the answer will have to come from the Engineer of Record. You haven't stated the reason for the need to splice. Were they bent and fractured, or just short? Has the concrete already been poured? A large part of the time, anchor rods are going to be A307 or the equivilent, and therefore can be welded. If the stub is accessable, he may require a compressable coupler but, like I said above, the decission will have to be made by or left to, the structural EOR. Otherwise I think your taking too much upon yourself. That's my opinion, that and $2.00 will get you a cup of coffee.
Wayne
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 09-17-2004 04:05
I remember when the saying was "that and a dime...", and a dime really would get you a cup of coffee. Isn't inflation grand. In an old Ziggy cartoon he says "I used to dream of making the money I'm barely getting by on now".
Bill
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 09-17-2004 13:06
Coffee for a dime? And I thought I was getting old! :)
Chet Guilford
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-17-2004 14:44
Cost almost a dime just for the TAX on a $1.00 worth of coffee (prepared food) here in town.
John Wright
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 09-18-2004 07:01
Late 50's. Harry's college luncheonet. Meatloaf dinner $.85, coffee $.10 (free refills I think). Lunch for under a buck. A little more if you wanted desert.
Bill
Parent - By ziggy (**) Date 09-20-2004 16:41
If this is a commercial job...one other note on modifying anchor bolts...OSHA's recently revised Subpart R Steel Erection Rule 29CFR1926.755 (b) states that any modifications to anchor rods must be approved by the structural engineer of record and the controlling contractor must provide written notification prior to the erection of the column.
If the column fails and its proven to be the modified anchor rod(s) at fault, you really want that piece of paper in your file!
ziggy
Parent - By TTONKA (*) Date 08-31-2005 20:34
www.aisc.org you can find information on the splicing of anchor bolts in the f.a.q.'s section. If you want the information to send to the EOR then they show a pretty good diagram. Couplers are usually easier.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Splicing Anchor Bolts