Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Level of testing for new consumables
- - By johannes (*) Date 08-26-2004 14:43
Good day to all
I have a question relating to notch toughness and PWHT during welding procedure qualification and subsequent purchasing of welding consumables and base materials. I will use an examples to illustrate: when we qualify carbon steel for notch toughness using for example E7018-1 with a PWHT (we qualify for both the shortest possible and longest possible PWHT, for example 30 minutes at 595°C and 4 hours at 630°C, temperatures are chosen according to the ranges given in ASME) my understanding of ASME IX is that all other electrodes conforming toE7018-1 classification is also qualified for the given conditions. My question no is when we buy new E7018-1 consumables, do we need to ask for the consumables to be tested in the PWHT’ed condition, since these consumables are tested in the as welded condition by the manufacturer. When buying these electrodes tested according to schedule I in the as welded condition, can we because I have done a welding procedure qualification using the same classification electrodes conclude that these new electrodes will also pass the mechanical tests, because they are of the same classification, even though the consumables have not been tested in the PWHT’ed condition? Or do we have to ask for consumables tested in the PWHT’ed condition to proof that they will achieve the required mechanical properties at the given post weld heat treatments. I know there will be scatter of properties within a classification, the argument is basically if you buy both base metal and consumable capable of passing the mechanicals at the given post weld heat treatments, you know you will have a proper weld, but is it necessary to test everything you buy, and doesn’t the codes already make provision for scatter of properties within a specification?

Thank you
Joe
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 08-26-2004 14:50
You will need to look at your construction code for this information. For example, ASME Section III (nuclear) requires that each filler metal lot be tested in the heat treat condition that it will be used in with at least 80% of the PWHT time the weldment will see. Other codes have different requiments, such as production CVN testing in ASME Section VIII.
Parent - By BillM (*) Date 08-26-2004 15:12
I would have to agree with GRoberts, also there could be a change in the chemical properties reducing the mechanicals. I have seen this in other areas. You would be wise to have them tested to insure that they meet your spec.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Level of testing for new consumables