Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / burner system for tool welding pre heats
- - By jer (**) Date 08-27-2004 02:41
I built my pre-post heat oven system a few years ago. I made the burner pipe with 3/4" pipe and drilled holes down both sides at about 1" centers, the holes are between top and above the center line.I made this pipe slide over the orifice which I made out of a pipe plug and drilled a small hole in it. I induce the oxygen after the orifice by sliding a small piece of pipe which is over the burner pipe. This is connected to a handle which will open the slot that I cutted in burner thereby allowing the oxygen to mix with the gas.

Presently my oven will heat a die between 650 to 700 degrees or so.

My question is that if I mixed this air into system prior to the orifice will I be able to increase the heat created?

Will the part heat up quicker?

What if I was to connect a oxygen bottle thereby pressuring the system with air. What will this cause?

Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 08-27-2004 03:28
Be careful with that oxygen idea. The flame will travel faster in an oxygen fuel mix than in an air fuel mix. If it burns into the interior of the burner pipe the volume of the pipe will allow a rather impressive pop. I doubt that the pipe would rupture although I cannot guarantee that it wouldn't. Still hoses blown off, flying parts, flying grit, subsequent fire, burns... all bad.

Relatively cheap medium and high pressure air/propane burners are available in a large range of btu outputs. Perhaps that is the way to go.

Bill
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-27-2004 11:04
I have seen an oxy/fuel torch with a large rose bud used to supply the mixture through a pipe with the holes drilled in it just like you described and it heated very quickly and at a higher temp. It makes me nervous to hear about introducing oxygen like you described due to the many unknown factors that arise quite unexpectedly like Bill mentioned, at least the torch mfg has already designed where and how the oxy/fuel mixes.
Please be careful.
John Wright
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-27-2004 11:07
Another thought,
check out some of the blacksmithing websites, they have all sorts of ideas on heating parts up to high temps.
John Wright
Parent - - By stever (**) Date 08-27-2004 13:25
This site is considered *the* place to start with a propane forge. A propane forge does not need oxygen injection from a compressed sorce, yet it will melt metal if properly built. Read through the whole extensive site. This is where I started when I built my first forge.

http://www.reil1.net/minifor1.shtml

There are other sites and different forges or preheating ovens as you called them.
Hope this helps.
Parent - By jer (**) Date 08-28-2004 02:50
I thank you all for your advice and will not go in the direction I was thinking , but will move forward in looking to purchas a burner system and modify my current oven to fit it in.

Thanks again.
Parent - By brande (***) Date 09-05-2004 04:49
I have used the reil burner extensively. Works very well.
Any questions, contact me.

Good Luck
brande
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / burner system for tool welding pre heats