Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / another for vanderhoof tink and malcolm
- - By calabrese052 (*) Date 09-01-2004 13:11
Im sorry I keep bugging you guys over and over...I wanna be a few steps ahead anyway by the time I start welding. But didnt everyone tell me stick was obsolete and my book says its only good for maybe doing grills or toll boxes etc, Same w/ O/A....If its good enough too hold a who knows how many (2 ton) trailer w/ 2 bikes, wouldnt it be good enough to weld anything I wanna I want to do with a car or bike. weld a frame on the bike, handlebars etc. and do sheet metal and other parts of the car (besides maybe frame and crossmembers)
I ask before, what about O/A? same? And one more, I dont understand why they tell me to stay from flux core? Something about cleaning or something...I know Ive ask a few of these questions a few times and Im sorry Im a wannabe pain, just trying to learn. Theyve had a few small chics on the shows before and I not to bad with my hands, Im sure if a little girl can weld on monster garage, Ill someday attain my dream of opening a shop for customizing bikes. Just wished I started earlier, but I wanted college
Take care thanks
Parent - By OSUtigger (**) Date 09-01-2004 14:04
Hello,
I know I'm not one of the guys you've been talking to, but I gotta put in my own two cents on this one. Stick welding (SMAW) is far from obsolete, and is in fact the only way a great number of welds can be made. The book you are using probably refers to stick as being obsolete in the area of production because GMAW (MIG welding) is more productive and more efficient. If I am in the shop, I am using either a TIG or a MIG, the former by choice, the latter by force. It's boring and requires less skill (please nobody hammer me on this one, I just never was impressed with it, despite its advantages). I've even turned down jobs because I would only be using a MIG. As for O/A, yes, it is an older method, but it does work, and a couple of bottles are far less expensive in the short run than buying a TIG unit. Everything has its own applications, for example, I have repaired numerous cast iron pumps and parts with O/A brazing, something that TIG wouldn't work as well for.

All that said, in your situation, building custom bikes, MIG and TIG are going to be the two processes that you will want to learn. They are quick, efficient, and clean. Stick and flux core are fairly "dirty" and are more for thicker steels than what you use on a bike. O/A will do it fairly cleanly, but you will log a lot of man-hours into a bike because of it. And as for the "little girls" that can weld on monster garage, most of the female welders I have met could have easily welded circles around me, so don't think its just "that" easy (women have naturally steady hands, something I have destroyed with Copenhagen).

Anyway, good luck in your learning,
G. L.
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 09-02-2004 02:07
G. L. has said it as well as anyone can. Now- you have the interest, go- take that course, you have nothing to lose but a rather small amount of money. Even if it turns out that this is not for you that knowledge itself is a positive since it releases you to go on to something else.
Bill
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / another for vanderhoof tink and malcolm