Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / What process used construct power plant?
- - By dragon (**) Date 09-02-2004 13:29
What process used in constructing power plant in U.S.A?
in our China constructing power plant main welding process are GTAW SMAW .

Parent - - By MBlaha (***) Date 09-02-2004 14:49
The contruction of the Boiler usually consists of:
Boiler tubes, GTAW root, SMAW fill and cover pass. Howver, Diametrics are being used more and more as boilers are being designed with this process in mind.
Water Wall Membrane, SMAW, GMAW
Piping GTAW root, SMAW fill and cover passes. Common SMAW rods being 5P, ER7018, ER308, ER309, ER316, and ER80S for GTAW.
Condenser, GMAW, SMAW, SAW, and GTAW.
There are many others, but like in China, GTAW and SMAW are the most common.

Hope this helps.

Mike
Parent - - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 09-04-2004 14:51
MB, I recently had a conversation about pipe welding with an engineer who worked on the Perry Nuclear Power plant in Ohio. 5p wasn't allowed anywhere near that plant. Is it different at other plants? Just curious.

Respectfully,
Mike Sherman
Parent - - By MBlaha (***) Date 09-06-2004 03:15
Mike:

I never considered Nuclear as I stay as far away from them as I possibly can. But, back in 1978, I worked on the containment vessel for CBI at the Byron project and we did use 5p on the verts once we went below .375 plate. I do not know if they use 5p for any of the piping. I guess I would say no to that. One gets so wrapped up in what they are used to that one forgets. Sorry, did not mean to mislead anyone.

Mike
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-07-2004 12:19
Mike & Mike; I work for a fabricator of nuclear components and we service nuclear facilities on a global basis; in almost every specification we've received a 70-series low hydrogen filler is called out, so 5P wouldn't be allowed obviously.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 09-09-2004 18:41
Gentlemen,
when you talk about "5 P" electrode, are you referring to Fleetweld 5P, made by Lincoln?
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 09-09-2004 21:29
Yes, Lincoln Fleetweld 5P is what I was referring to.

Respectfully,
Mike Sherman
Parent - - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 09-07-2004 12:20
No problem. I doubt you misled anyone. I asked mostly to satisfy my own curiosity as I have never worked at a Nuclear plant.

Respectfully,
Mike Sherman
Parent - By Neal Chapman (**) Date 10-03-2004 05:58
I am involved in nuclear repairs at several plants. E6010 is used only where GTAW ER70S2 cannot. Likely candidates are repairs where we can't clean the back side. Another example was where the pipe system was a spray header in a high dose area with significant air movement near by. Set up for GTAW would have caused us more received dose and the system was open ended therefore less critical.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / What process used construct power plant?