Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Trailer building
- - By chabat (*) Date 09-04-2004 02:54
Has anyone built a lowboy trailer from plans(or not from plans!), tandem axle, 16' long bed?

We have 2 adult sized go karts that are about 47" wide and approx 7' long and currently we have to take two trucks to get to our riding spot.(kinda a real pain)

My question is if anyone has built a 16' lowboy trailer, what did it cost you ballpark in materials?

You can buy a new one for around $995.00 in Texas where we live. I would be willing to spend the time to make one if I could make one for half of that or less. Anyone think this is do-able?

Chris Moss
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-04-2004 03:18
My guess is that with the current steel prices, it would cost that much($995) for the axles, pressure treated lumber, steel, and bolts.
I'd buy the one you saw for that price, sounds like a deal. I bought a 16' dovetail car trailer with fenders and hide-a-way ramps for $2400.
John Wright
Parent - By chabat (*) Date 09-04-2004 21:59
Aww Shucks. I was hoping to be able to do a fun project and save money, looks like I won't be now.
Parent - - By OSUtigger (**) Date 09-05-2004 18:40
Hello,

I've gotta back up John's reply, I just finished building a trailer so that I could get the 1000 lbs worth of welder and tools out of my truck bed, and trust me, a 16' trailer for <$1000 is pretty good if you aren't wanting something special and can do the job with wood. Mine was a 5' by 10' bed, tandem 2000 lb axles, and it probably cost well over $1500 in materials(it was built to withstand a nuclear holocaust, however). Axles were about $400-$500, steel around $700, and though I used some wheels and tires we had laying around our barn, $60 per wheel and about the same for tires, not to mention wiring and brake kits.

Hope that helps,
G. L.
Parent - - By chabat (*) Date 09-06-2004 03:40
I guess the upside is that if I buy one for $995, I won't have to spend a bunch of time building it. Since materials cost that much, it is like free labor if you look at it one way. Now I just need to save that $995!
Parent - By chabat (*) Date 01-05-2005 17:34
Update: I bought one new (shop built - no title) for $725.00. 16' Tandem axle low boy trailer. It has worked fine for my purposes. I am glad I did not try to build one since I would not have saved much if any.

I have since been welding on it. I bent and welded 21 tie down loops all the way around. I feel very foolish - I lost a new hot water heater that was not tied down. I thought it was heavy enough - WRONG-O. Anyway, feel pretty much like a jacka$$ for that one. At least it wasn't something more expensive like one of my dirtbikes, or a fridge or something. From now on, everything will be tied down tight!

I just finished welding some angle pieces on the front to hold dirt bike tires steady when they are tied down. One of my dirt bikes fell over last time since the fron tire moved on a bumpy road (it was tied down, just fell over - not off the trailer).

Next on the list is a ramp on the back so I won't have to carry the wooden kind everywhere.
Parent - By happybearwelder (*) Date 01-06-2005 03:45
I agree, if you can get a good one for $995 don't pass it up. However, I bought mine from a rental yard for $500. After having to strighten one axel, buy two leafe springs, and two tail lights, repair the trashed wireing, pound dents out of the fenders, and buy two wheels and tires, and then finally having no choice but to replace the bent axel with a whole new one... I bet you get this picture.
Spend your time having fun!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Trailer building