Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / PJP K- WPS Qualification
- - By ziggy (**) Date 09-04-2004 14:07
Because the local dihedral angle is < 30 degrees on the K- connection, I need to qualify a new WPS for the K- connection. This will be my first.
After reviewing D1.1:2004 Section 4, Part B, 4.13 and referring to Table 4.3 I have a question.
I am assuming that because the local dihedral angle is < 30 degrees my test coupon will be the actual K- connection (one side only) rather than a typical pipe test coupon. Am I correct in this?
If so, my next question is the location of the test specimens. According to Table 4.3 the WPS qualification will require macroetch, reduced section as well as bends.
If you have some insight it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
ziggy
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 09-07-2004 23:19
Ziggy:
No replies and I am putting off work, so;

I recently qualified several procedures at the K area of wide flange members using both PJP and CJP groove welds (although PJP are preferred depending on the designer) for doubler plates per AISC guidelines. Assuming you are trying to accomplish the same weldment, you have two options:

Typically a [minimum] 10 degree bevel at the doubler plate is used to provide access for the welder. You asked: "...the location of test specimens."

1.) A CJP groove weld using the same joint detail encountered in production may be used with the addition of macroetch testing (3) per 4.10.3. This is to verify the effective throat (E) or weld size of the PJP weld. Restriction plates may be required to simulate dihedral angles.

2.) Qualify the PJP - WPS per Table 4.3 as you have mentioned previously. The location of the test specimens is noted in Figures 4.10 or 4.11 depending on the minimum required weld size specified by the designer per Table 4.3, Note 1.

You mentioned: "...a typical pipe test coupon." Keep in mind the D1.1 uses code terminolgy specific to the code (noted by an asterisk (*) in the definitions in Annex B. The "local dihedral angle" is in reference to tubular welments in D1.1.

Don't forget to bevel for the actual K area radii at the back side of the doubler plate.

That is all the info that I can provide whilst still earning a living myself.
Parent - By ziggy (**) Date 09-21-2004 13:40
Thank you for the feedback.
ziggy
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / PJP K- WPS Qualification