Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding of Cement Kiln shells
- - By sk90 Date 09-05-2004 00:33
In a cement kiln of dia 4.75 mtr and 75 mtr long. the kiln is supported at three Tyre . one of the Tyre ( middle Tyre ) has developed cracks hence we are planing to replace the Tyre with new one.
For removal of existing Tyre we need to cut shell near Tyre to remove old Tyre and insert new Tyre .and install new shell in place of old cut shell.
In order to reduce cutting, edge preparation and welding time we propose to use automatic process for cutting as well as welding.
our equipment
We were exploring welding process which can weld the joint while kiln is stationanary and the welding machine shall go round the kiln shell and carry out welding. Flux cord wire with CO2 shielding.

Kiln shell thickness is 35 mm and the kiln diameter is 4750 mm internal diameter and od is 4820 mm. Marerial Boiler quality carbon steel

Can FCAW be used?will shielding be effective in open air-Is any wind shields will be required?what are cautions while welding with co2 shielded flux cored wire.

Thanks
Sk90
Parent - - By JohnLawmon Date 09-17-2004 04:11
Hi
I have just completed a repair job on a kiln tire, it was a little larger than yours and we used a combination of sub arc and flux cored wire. There were a numberof technical hurdles associated with the base material that we had to overcome. Please give me a call on 614 688 5054 at the office on Tuesday or my cell on Friday at 614 226 7374

Regards

John Lawmon
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 09-20-2004 16:06
Great! How about writing an article to be published on the "American Welder" section of Welding Journal to share your experience with its readers? Think it over.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding of Cement Kiln shells