Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Automotive Exhaust Weld Qualification
- - By jfolk (**) Date 09-10-2004 03:52
I am assisting a company with the development of welding procedures and qualifications for the joining of 409 stainless steel. The component is automotive exhaust systems(pipe, tube, flange welding). I have the AWS D8.8-97 "Specification for Automotive and Light Truck Components Weld Quality- Arc Welding". This is for automotive and truck frame welding. Other than the AWS sheet metal codes or specifications, does any one have an idea or application similar, and how have you qualified and to what standard, acceptance criteria, etc.

Thanks,

John Folk
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-10-2004 11:25
That is a good question and has been asked on here before. I hope someone will have some information to share with us on this. I've been asked myself and would like to see a clear definitive answer written somewhere.
John Wright
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 09-13-2004 00:15
John,
A few years back I was working for SGS in New Zealand as a Welding Inspector and we had a company make enquiries about something similar.
They were importing Corvettes and Chevy Blazers etc and wanted to convert them from left hand drive to right hand drive but needed to ensure they would comply with all the transport regulations etc.The welding on the firewalls and other light gauge steel was covered by a British Welding code (I can't remember the number) and this was accepted by the New Zealand Ministry of Transport.It listed a variety of Welder Qualification tests on 1,2 and 3 mm plates. Our tests were done on carbon steel only but it may be worth a look in the British standards or maybe a British Inspector can help out,
Regards,
Shane Feder
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Automotive Exhaust Weld Qualification