Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Is a multistrand ground neccessary?
- - By T0M (*) Date 09-14-2004 18:03
I am talking about the ground on the power cable that goes from the circuit breaker to the welder or plasma cutter, NOT the ground from the welder/plasma cutter to the work.

I just Purchased a HYPERTHERM 1250 PLasma cutter (yay me!)
It draws 60 amps, so I got some 6 gauge / 2 line romex with a 10 ga ground. however, the ground is a single strand ground not a multistrand.

on my miller Sync 350LX i remember using a multistranded ground, as instructed by a fellow welder.

My question is, is this dangerous to use a single strand ground?
Parent - By jamesrodr (*) Date 09-14-2004 20:04
A multi strand cable will give more flexibility . I cannot think of any other reason why you should not use a suitably rated single strand cable .

James
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 09-14-2004 20:52
No.
Parent - - By Malcolm (*) Date 09-15-2004 22:53
I am assuming you are using this as part of a permanent installation, not an extension cord. It is not appropriate for an extension cord.

Stranded equipment grounding counductor or solid makes no difference. The purpose of the equipment grounding conductor is to carry enough current to trip the breaker in case of a ground fault. Only the gauge matters.

FWIW according to the NEC the ampacity of 6 ga. wire in a cable like this is 65 amps when everything including the panel, cable, breakers, receptacles, etc. are rated for 75 degrees C, but only 55 amps if any component is only rated only for 60 degrees C. And of course, this is before any reduction for operation in an ambient temperature of over 86 degrees F.

Parent - By spark-plug Date 10-28-2004 17:29
Malcom,

Sounds like you might could help me with a "shocking" problem. We have a Miller electric welding machine set up for a TIG operation. Ground clamp attached to a steel fabrication table setting on concrete ... not grounded. Stinger not on the table, welding machine on .. and we can measure 82-Volts DC from the fab table to ground. People are getting shocked and electric portabands used on the table are burning up. We grounded the table for a temporary fix ... but are wondering if this is normal and all steel fab tables should be grounded ... or is there something wrong with this brand-new machine. The incoming power connections and equipment grounds are secure.

Thanks
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Is a multistrand ground neccessary?