Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / guided bend tests per D1.1
- - By schaller mobil Date 09-16-2004 02:17
Accorrding to D1.1 essential variables table 4.5 S.M.A.W. you are allowed to step up 1/32 above the rod diameter qualified in and are also qualified in any diameter below. When taking a qualification test should the welder be able to use any rod diameter in the range qualifying for. For instance I'm taking a 3/8 guided bend test with 1/8 7018 should I be allowed to run my root pass with 3/32?
Parent - By qcmike (**) Date 09-16-2004 20:55
My inspector took my code book again!!!!!!

In the meantime answer this question. Are you talking about a Procedure or Welder Qualification?

Mike
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 09-16-2004 22:18
Table 4.5 pertains to PQRs, not to welder qualifications. I would guess that if you are using 7018 you are probably welding in a pre-qualified category and don't need a PQR. Of course there are exceptions so I would check out Section 3 to be sure.

For welder qualification, the rods sizes are not limited unless the WPS has restrictions. Table 4.11 lists essential variables for welders but it does not list the electrode diameter as being one of them. So I would say that as long as the test administrator has no problem with it, you could use 3/32" E7018 rods.

Chet Guilford
Parent - By Malcolm (*) Date 09-18-2004 00:49
Table 4.5 determines what changes in essential variables require requalification of a WPS. It has nothing to do with what you are allowed to do during a qualification test.

Welder qualification requires a WPS. It can be one that is prequalified, or one that has been qualified. You can even qualify the WPS and the welder at the same time. It is possible to write a WPS that allows the welder as much latitude as the code allows. It is also possible to write one that leaves the welder very little latitude. In either case, you are limited to whatever the procedure allows. If the procedure calls out 1/8" 7018 that is what you have to use. If it calls out 1/8" for all passes except the cap, and 3/32" for the cap, then that is what you have to use. If it calls out 3/32" to 1/8" for all passes, then you have a choice.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / guided bend tests per D1.1