Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Collages
- - By GoldenKfir Date 09-17-2004 04:49
I am a 50% disables Veteran so cost isn't an issue. Their seems to be a variety to choose from. I have a few questions.

1. How should I choose to judge a school in the Welding industry?
2. Is a school that is S.E.N.S.E. certified a huge bonus? Does that make it a
school better?
3. What factors affect job placement?

Any suggestions and guidance is greatly appreciated. If any body recommends a school in Colorado let me know. Thanks.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-17-2004 13:03

Hey Golden,

Some pretty big questions you have there.

If money is no object than focus on what you personally want to gain out of a program. You are 50% disabled, do you want to be a professional welder for the next 20-30 years or might your ambitions move toward management/engineering? If they do than programs with a *transferrable* associates degree might be best.

If you just want to get out there and weld than there are 1 year diploma programs or specific process programs in private industry (Hobart School comes to mind).

S.E.N.S.E is a fine program that cost the taxpayers millions. It has captured tried and true ways to teach and qualify welders at 3 levels *entery level, Advenced level and Expert level. Having said that Other facilities train the same thing without the S.E.N.S.E designation. Plus the designation does not gaurentee an excellent instructor.

As far as certs go, (and job placement for that matter) the rubber meets the road when you can do the weld the employer wants you to make. Schools have good and bad reputations which can have an effect on hireing. A few well placed questions to employers you might want to apply with in the future will give you some good feedback on program reputations of specific schools.
Parent - By M Baker (**) Date 09-30-2004 14:26
You may check the Hobart Institute of Welding Technology offerings at http://www.welding.org or call 1-800-332-9448 for a catalog.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Collages