Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Numbering WPS's
- - By dschlotz (***) Date 09-19-2004 12:15
Is there a logical numbering system for WPS's? I am preparing FCAW, SMAW, GMAW, GTAW.
Parent - - By Malcolm (*) Date 09-19-2004 16:30
You can use any numbering system you like. I like to use something that identifies the process, type of joint, whether it is open groove or not, etc.
Parent - By dschlotz (***) Date 09-20-2004 00:35
Do you have an example of your system? Thanks so much for taking time to reply.

Dennis
Parent - - By dlmann (**) Date 09-19-2004 19:00
Here are some samples of our system.
1. P1-A-Lh: this means P1 to P1, SMAW, low hydrogen electrode
2. P1, P8-A: this means P1 to P8, SMAW
3. P8-AT-Ag: this means P8 to P8, GTAW root w/ argon purge, SMAW balance
4. P44-T-Ag: this means P44 to P44, GTAW with argon purge
5. P8-(G-2)-T-Ag(RA235MA): this means Rolled Alloys RA 253ma to same, GTAW with argon purge.

We have 26 WPSs on file.

Regards, Donnie Mann

Parent - By dschlotz (***) Date 09-20-2004 00:34
I thank you for your response. I have a better idea of how to do my naming as a result of your reply.

Dennis
Parent - - By Bonniweldor (**) Date 09-25-2004 02:25
I review a lot of welding procedures in my job. One thought I would like to give many of the vendors is to not have too rigid an approach to WPS serialisation. It seems, that the WPS written for a particular PQR becomes as fixed and unchanging as the original PQR that supports it. In practice, though, there is much flexibility available for writing WPS's. The variant WPS's, associated with the original PQR, can be anything practicality requires short of breaching the allowable ranges or values of essential variables.

By example, what I would suggest vendors would do is simply adapt the [original] WPS to cover all welding relevant deatails as may be unique to a particular PO/job. This effectively creates "job specific" WPS's tailored to the specifications/agreements for a particular project/job. A hundred different WPS's can be written and supported by the same PQR(s), and I believe this approach takes full advantage of using the WPS document to directly and clearly communicate specific instructions to the shop floor. Not all the details relevant to successful welding are contained in the essential variables, no matter the code, and the WPS, or addenda to the WPS, is an appropriate vehicle to communicate these important details.

Each variant WPS can be given its own serial. Having a lot of WPS's is not problem in the context of computerization. And use of a job or project specific serialization (i.e. the PO or job #) would prevent it being used on the wrong jobs. Apparently, some think this approach is too much work, and prefer to stick to a given WPS and avoid "revisions". I interpret that this prespective actually limits control and convenience in that various alternative approaches are adopted to include and communicate relevant information. A concern about "revisions" is often a red herring in that a simple change of the WPS serial creates as many revision 0's as may be needed. Which is not to say that revisions are irrelevant, but organizing document flexibility more or less exclusively around them seems needlessly restrictive.

Parent - - By dschlotz (***) Date 09-25-2004 11:16
Your reply to my post was interesting to say the least. How do you number WPS documents? As stated above I work from D1.1and would like the WPS's that I write to be easy to find and use by welders on the shop floor.
Parent - - By Bonniweldor (**) Date 09-25-2004 17:39
The format offered by dlmann is one I have seen many times, and seems to be popular. When I have written WPS, the basis document is simply serialized with an 8 space alphanumeric that has no direct indication of process or materials, but thats just me. And I keep a spreadsheet of the procedure inventory so that I can quickly drill down to candidate procedures or find there is none for a given application. In my system, the basis alphanumic is prefixed with a project number when a respective WPS/PQR combination is applied to a particular project.

Keep in mind you can produce a PQR, make 5 copies, and give it five different serial numbers. What is important is that the data recorded in the PQR remain the same and that a WPS is correctly supported by the PQR in terms of essential variables and relevant information; you can give it any or as many serial numbers as may be practical.

My thoughts for you were only to suggest you keep and open mind about WPS/PQR serialization, and to note that WPS/PQR serial #'s are not writ in stone.
Parent - By Neal Chapman (**) Date 10-03-2004 05:51
I have a system with several hundred WPS's and the logic is as follows.
Examples CS-1/1-C and BM-8/1-A
CS and BM are Carbon Steel and Bi Metallic The p numbers come next and the suffix defines process or processes
A Tig Root/Stick Balance
B Tig only
C stick only
D Tig Insert balance stick
E solid wire Mig
F Flux Core
G Stick Open Butt
and so on up to S right now.

I chose this as it was easy for planners and welders to use, easy for the computerization, and I could remember it.
Parent - - By dlmann (**) Date 10-31-2004 12:33
Went to a fab shop not to long ago to do a first article inspection. I asked for the GMAW WPS to review and record the WPS number for my report. The number was "Mark White". This fab shop has only one welder and when they qualified their WPS they just put his name on top to match his GMAW cert. Works for them!!
Parent - By Bonniweldor (**) Date 11-02-2004 00:58
As a likely precedent for that shop, George Foreman did name all his (many) sons George.

After the fashion, SAW procedures could be named after WWII submarines, SMAW after Knights of the round table, GTAW after vacuum tubes, PAW after pet breeds, FCAW after fruits, GMAW after polititians, EBW after scientists; the possibilities boggle the mind. I like it.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Numbering WPS's