Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / is 30 too old
- - By tampaskinhead Date 09-20-2004 18:34
is 30 years too old to learn to start a welding career??
Parent - By thcqci (***) Date 09-20-2004 19:26
Never too old!!!
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 09-21-2004 03:20
You will never be any younger than you are today. You don't have to burn bridges- see if you can find night school courses. Then you will know if you like it and have the aptitude before you actually make a switch.
Good luck
Bill
Parent - By Malcolm (*) Date 09-28-2004 23:07
IMHO you are never too old. Your reflexes probably aren't what they were when you were younger, but I'll bet you are a lot smarter and more focused. So, it may take you a bit longer to master a technique. But my guess is overall you will learn faster.

FWIW, there are a lot of welders nearing retirement age. Should be a lot of work for a long time for anyone interested.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-29-2004 13:20
30?, No way, unless you are a dog then you'd be like 210 or something:).
Parent - By M Baker (**) Date 09-30-2004 14:39
Hobart Institute of Welding Technology http://www.welding.org accepts any age adult students. Check the web site or call 1-800-332-9448 for a catalog.
Parent - - By metalfab (*) Date 11-14-2004 20:47
You are never too old to switch careers. I'm 35 and was in IT (computers) for the past 8 years. After being disappointed with the job market and its lack of pay increase I put myself on a waiting list for a Metal Fab Citation course. I'm now about 6 six weeks into the 5 month full-time program and love it. It's not easy balancing that with a family and all the expenses that go with that. On the other hand, 5 months will go quickly and I'll have a true skill (with experience ;) ) and career once I'm done.
Parent - - By Partagas (*) Date 12-18-2004 06:52
"By metalfab On 14-Nov-04 15:47
You are never too old to switch careers. I'm 35 and was in IT (computers) for the past 8 years. After being disappointed with the job market and its lack of pay increase I put myself on a waiting list for a Metal Fab Citation course. I'm now about 6 six weeks into the 5 month full-time program and love it. It's not easy balancing that with a family and all the expenses that go with that. On the other hand, 5 months will go quickly and I'll have a true skill (with experience ;) ) and career once I'm done."

If I did not know better, I would swear I wrote this. I also am/was in IT for 12 years. The strange part was my family and friends never understood or knew what I did. But when I informed my family over Thanksgiving what I wanted to do. My dad said it was about time I got a career..and I am 37.....( LOL) So now I am waiting to get into a traing class.
Parent - By metalfab (*) Date 12-20-2004 23:42
Partagas,

Good luck with it, so far I have done nothing but enjoy the course. The theory side of the course I am taking is very detailed and there is tons of reading. Right now we are just past the 1/2 way point of the course; blueprint reading, welding symbols and power sources...much to remember :). Projects and "sign-offs" (practice welds, etc.) are teaching me miles more than when I was trying to teach myself. Can't wait to work and on that note there are many fabricators needed. 3 fabs job for every welder (atleast in western Canada). If time allows I'll be going for my Class C ticket in welding part-time next Sept. as well.
Parent - By welder53 (*) Date 12-20-2004 11:45
At 30 years fo age, you are at a good age to be serious and learn.
The theory part is little mor difficult, but if you have good hand/eye coordination, then you will excell. It is a little more difficult to do the GTAW process, but not too difficult when it comes to the GMAW or FCAW process. The SMAW process is the basic of welding, but it takes a little longer to do pipe, as opposed to plate. Go for the welding trade and you will never regret it. Good-luck!
Parent - - By dcwelder Date 01-01-2005 01:32
It's never to late to learn to weld the write way. go to some traid or comm collage and take the clases i have just graduated from a welding 2 year comm collage, with a degree in applied sciences in welding, im a young 58 years pld and still learning new things everyday i open my shop doors dc welder
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-03-2005 10:26
It's also never too late to learn how to right (write)...
Just Kidding!!!!
Weldcome to the forum dcwelder!!!

Respectfully,
SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Parent - By NEQA (**) Date 01-21-2005 20:16
Good comment ssbn.

We are a very large end user, and I have personllly hired over 150 welders over the last 5-6 years. I have learned one thing. Quite frankly, welders (and this includes CWI's) are a dime a dozen. But find one who can verbally express him/herself clearly and who makes a presentable appearance........and that person will get hired everytime.
Parent - By jonesiera (*) Date 02-12-2005 15:20
Gosh, I'm 74 years old and just now started learning. I always wanted to weld and finally getting the chance!
Bob J
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / is 30 too old