Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What kind of welds?
- - By BluntStatic Date 09-21-2004 17:12
hey i am very new and would like to learn how to weld and so on i was wondering what differnt kind of welds there are and what those kinds are used for mainly
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 09-22-2004 04:02
Just limiting the discussion to electric arc processes there are- SMAW (stick), GMAW (mig), GTAW (tig) and others less often seen. Then there are positions- flat, horizontal, vertical, and overhead. Types of joints... . Materials... . So depending on what you consider to be different there are thousands of different welds. They are used for everything from wiring the pins to the silicon in an integrated circuit (tiny gold wire welded on by laser) to construction of oil tankers. What I'm driving at in my rather wordy way is that you need to ask a more specific question.
http://www.machinist.org/army_welding/
Try browsing here (the army welding manual). Stay interested and do come back with more questions.
Bill
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-22-2004 12:15
All welds fit into 2 catagories...
Fillet Welds or
Groove Welds (there are lots of different groove weld joint configurations)
John Wright

Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 09-25-2004 12:22
Hi BluntStatic,

Adding to what John has mentioned, there are two types of groove welds; partial penetration and complete penetration.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-02-2004 22:14
Hi Guys!

What do you consider Plug & Slot welds or Spot, Projection, Seam welds - fillet or groove welds?

Respectfully,
SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What kind of welds?