Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Internal grinding of weld metal
- - By lemmorw Date 09-24-2004 22:51
I am needing help from anyone who has experience with internal grinding of the weld metal. I am grinding in 2" and 3" pipe approximately 8" from the end of the pipe to the weld. I have to be able to get the smoothness of the weld and the surrounding pipe to the same smoothness. The pipe is less than 250 microns of roughness or smoothness. I am building orifice meter tubes if that makes a difference to anyone. What type of equipment is needed to do this?

Thanks,

Rich
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 09-27-2004 20:31
Back in my days of erector engineer (always as the contractor, never as the client), I've done that work at the clients' satisfaction (very stringent clients, by the way) by means of a cylindrical "mounted stone", i.e., a small cylindrical grinding stone installed on the tip of a steel rod. The mounted stone, in turn, is installed on a pneumatic or electrical portable grinder.
The grain size (or "grit", as they say in the USA) I don't remember now, you can discuss it with a reputable mounted stone distributor in your area.
Before starting, expain your client what you intend to do.
Do the job with care, so as to obtain a good surface finishing, which of course will never be as a machined one. Never mind, orifice meters are flow metering devices that work with an error margin of 1-2%, and sometimes even more, depending on the working conditions. So, the finishing obtained with the mounted stone is enough.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 09-28-2004 04:24
A cylinder hone would further improve things if necessary. You would want to be careful not to create any low spots when you grind. It's much harder to hone out a low spot than a high spot.
Bill
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 09-28-2004 21:24
English being not my mother language, I don't know what a "hone" is. Would you explain it to me, Bill?
Thank you
Giovanni
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 09-29-2004 07:17
In this case generally there are three stones perhaps 1/2 inch wide and 4 inches long. Made of the same material as the stone you would use for sharpening a pocket knife, which is indeed another sort of hone. They are spring loaded outward and rotated, usually with an electric drill, some sort of fluid, usually oil is used to carry away the cuttings. Often used by auto mechanics to remove the shiny surface from the cylinders when renewing piston rings.
Bill
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-29-2004 12:53
http://www.mytoolstore.com/kd/kdengi10.html#2833
http://www.mytoolstore.com/kd/kdengi09.html#2492
Giovanni,
There are a couple types(configurations) of hones. Check out these pics.
John Wright
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 09-30-2004 02:42
One picture is worth 1000 words.
Bill
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-30-2004 11:21
Yeah Bill, I know. I started writing a book just trying to describe the hone in the second picture, and then decided to simply post a link to a picture instead. :)
John Wright
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 09-30-2004 18:04
Thank you, gentlemen.
Giovanni
Parent - By lemmorw Date 10-05-2004 03:49
Thank you for your message.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Internal grinding of weld metal