Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Calculation of Arc Weld Heat Input
- - By Bonniweldor (**) Date 09-25-2004 03:01
Can some one corroborate and/or point me to a technical reference that details the implicit conditions for the standard arc welding energy/heat input calculation: H = IE x 60/s (s is travel speed).

My reason for asking is that I have a situation where the heat input calculation value has been based on a [wide] weave weld bead rather than a stringer weld bead, and I want to challenge that basis. In this context, the travel speed is taken as the net forward motion of the weave bead, rather than the instantaneous straight line travel speed of the eletrode. I believe the calculated heat input obtained in this way significantly over states the actual heat input to the metal, and that the heat input calculation is actually base on the limiting case of the stringer bead condition. I just cannot find a qualified technical reference to support my intuition.

Thank you for your time.
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 09-25-2004 04:25
Bonniweldor:
I don't think you will find any documentation supporting your theory. The arc dwells at a given location with a weave bead vs. the continuous forward motion of a stringer bead. Heat is continually being assimilated into the base metal. Longer weld times = higher heat input (providing all other parameters remain the same).

e.g.: A 6" weld using a stringer bead takes 60 seconds to perform the weld. A 6" weld using a weave bead (again using the same amps/volts) takes 70 seconds to complete. > time equals > heat input. I'm trying to keep this relatively simple so all can join in on this one.

I am curious how others will reply.
Good luck.
Parent - - By Cain (*) Date 09-26-2004 02:56
http://www.jflf.org/

Then, go to "Technical Papers": Heat Input...The article is very good.

By R. Scott Funderburk, The James F. Lincoln Arc Welding Foundations, he wrote:

......."The equation is useful for comparing different welding procedures for a given welding process. However, heat input is not necessarily applicable for comparing different processes (e.g.,SMAW and GMAW), unless additional data are available such as the heat transfer efficiency (Linnert, 1994)."......"Heat input can not be measured directly. It can, however, be calculated from the measured values of arc voltage, current and travel speed."

As seen from above, the Heat Input (HI) calculation is based on the energy put into a length of weld. Regardless of the technique, the principal is governed by the energy and the rate at which it is applied.

I believe the conflict you are having is between "measuring" vs. "calculating".
Parent - - By Bonniweldor (**) Date 09-26-2004 13:43
I will attempt to elaborate what I think the issue is:

Say that, for fixed A and E, one half of a full weave bead oscillation is laid down and is 1 in. wide (this would be the width of the finished weld "bead"), and say a stringer bead using the same A and E is laid down and is 1 in. long. Per the conventional heat input calculation, the distance over which the travel speed will be calcuated is 1 in. for the stringer bead, and for the case of the weave bead this distance will be the bead width, say 5/16 in. Thus, for the same arc on time at fixed A and E, the weave bead calcuates a heat input approximately 3 times larger than the stringer bead. This difference is based soley on the defined long axis direction of the weld.

Based on this thought model, I am looking for authoratative discussion of the limmiting conditions that the universally used heat input calculation is based upon.
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 09-26-2004 15:38
Whether it is a stringer or weave bead, a given amount of heat will be produced for the same amount of arc time, weld current and arc voltage. This heat has to go somewhere, either into the base metal, electrode or into the air. If it is a weave bead, then more heat will be conducted into the base metal per unit length of weld than a stringer bead. So your example of calculated heat input makes sense. I think George Linnert had a good discussion on heat flow in the book "Welding Metallurgy" and there is also a good discussion of heat flow in the AWS Welding Handbook.
Parent - - By Cain (*) Date 09-26-2004 16:10
When weaving, the electrode travels predominately in two axis’s "x" and "y" (let’s assume z is held constant). The weld length and the travel speed are measured in "x" axis. As you traverse the joint in the "y" direction to make the weave, more energy is put into the weld area to make the weld length "x".

While you are traveling in the "y" direction, time continuous but little displacement is made in the "x" axis. As stated earlier, this dwell in "y" causes the HI to increase as well as the weld size, while the travel speed is virtually zero or paused along the “x” axis. You would have to calculate the “HI” for the travel speed in “y” and the “HI” for the travel speed in “x” and then combine them for a resultant “x” “y”. Trying to measure this would be difficult on many levels.

This dwell in "y" could be mimicked by the stringer method by reducing the travel speed or by going to a larger electrode diameter and more power. If you reduced the travel speed, the weld size would grow, in the “y” axis, to the size of the weave and so would the heat input.

Have fun!
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 12-23-2006 05:59
Assuming X and Y only and a total displacement on Y of 10cm, a 4mm rod, no overlap between weave strings, 24volts, 110amps and a weave of 3x the numbers come up equal.  The linear distance traveled in the same time frame when you straighten the weave out into a straight line is around 30cm
When calculating the 10cm(with weave) the heat input comes to around 15.84Kj cm plugging just the 10mm into the formula.
the same values at the linear distance in the same time with corrected weave straight line is 5.28Kj cm.

The same same linear distance comes up different. Assuming x y and z as a constant total volume to be filled, then the heat input for stringer comes up 15.84Kj cm. for the same area.(assuming welding three stringers to end up with the same distance of 10cm)

Based on this, the dwell time in a weave does not appear to be accounted for in the standard heat input formula.

Is there a formula out there that takes that into account? Or am I looking at this wrong?
Parent - - By Bonniweldor (**) Date 09-27-2004 15:28
From Linnert, Welding Metallurgy, Vol. 1, 4th Ed. 1994, p. 667

This contains the text: “ …, the equation below emerged from the work of Adams to predict the distribution of peak temperature in the base metal of single pass, full penetration butt fusion welds in sheet or plate:”
The cited equation (Eq. 7.1) contains the term Hnet which is elaborated to = f E I / V where f is the heat transfer efficiency.

This begins to substantiate my intuition about the basis conditions for the heat input calculation, but I must dig up the Adams paper as the next step.

The Lincoln Electric Procedure Handbook of Arc welding, 12th Ed. 1973, p. 6.1-19, cites the heat input equation ( Hi = I x E x 60 /V ), but merely states: “Also, there are many variables that affect the heat distribution and the maximum temperature of the abase metal at the joint but the formula is sufficiently accurate to predict the maximum allowable heat input for a given set of conditions.
Parent - By Cain (*) Date 09-27-2004 16:24
Is the heat transfer efficiency, f, based on the welding process or welding technique? Keep us updated!
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-27-2004 18:06
I may be off base here, I've been thinkin about this till little whisps of smoke came outta my ears.

Adams work is predicated on full pen butt welds, however, I'd be willing to bet that for the purpose of his work, electrode weaving techniques were never considered. (a mighty big vairable) The only weaving done on full pen butt welds that come readliy to mind would be made by GTAW "cup walking" techniques.

Maybe heat input models for hard facing operations would be more close to what your discussing, although I've also been wondering about heat input differences between wide flat sub-arc beads Vs SMAW weaves. Seems like with all the heat sensitive materials being joined (or built up) these days that there would be plenty of text devoted to what your looking at.
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 09-28-2004 01:58
Looking at the many macroetched welds on the shelf here - I would would still be inclined to believe weaving increases heat input. These include SS, carbon steel and Al. Everyone of these that have weave beads displays a larger HAZ, all of them.

Not discounting any of the above authors, the proof is in the macro? I don't believe heat input can be accurately calculated also (too many other variables to consider (and type), but you can get a close value using the above formula.

Try using the formula for pulsed [GMAW] welding, that will smoke your hard drive for sure Lawrence. But don't crash the hardware, the forum needs people like you.

;-)
Parent - By Cain (*) Date 09-28-2004 12:33
Post some macros!
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 10-04-2004 01:22
I tend to agree that weaving, while increasing heat input, does not increase heat input proportionally to the classical heat input formula. Conceptually, when you weave, the weld bead has more fusion boundary per linear inch of weld, thus more surface area from which the base metal can remove heat, so the weld would cool off faster than a weld with the same heat input but a narrower bead. I have also been told that testing has been done on weave widths that reveals weaves up to 1" reduce impact properties (which are usually proportional to cooling rate), and when the weave goes over 1", the impact properties start to increase again. When the weave gets wide enough, the effective cooling rate of the weld/HAZ actually starts to increase.
And some food for thought here: With weaving involved, would it be more accurate (with all other parameters remaining the same) to correlate heat input with bead thickness rather than the regular heat input formula?
Parent - - By GANESAN NALLATH (*) Date 09-04-2006 18:52
Hi Friends. I'm new to QC Works. Is it possible to represent this topic in some form of graphic presentation. I also like to know why weave bead is practiced when Stringer bead is easy to work with and produce higher Tensile Strength. My workshop welding supervisor told weave type does not influence heat in put.
My e-mail add - ganesan@mauajurong.com.br  Thank for all your guidance
Parent - By reddoggoose (**) Date 09-08-2006 12:51
Weaving definitely does increase heat input.
Simply calculated heat input is

Heat input in joules per inch= (volt X amps X 60)/ travel speed

When weaving your travel speed decreases. As such you can see that a lower travel speed number in the denominator of the equations gives an answer of higher value.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-05-2006 04:16
I eagerly following this conversation but won't say anything just yet.  I'd like to see it more fleshed out....
Parent - By Eutectic (**) Date 09-05-2006 08:02 Edited 09-05-2006 08:07
Good Morning,
My humble attempt.
There are 2 different subjects that must be taken into account. "Heat input" and "Heat flow".
Where  Heat Input = (nVI)/ v = q/v
Where  n= the proportion of arc energy transferred as heat to the work piece
V = Volts
I = Amps
V = linear travel speed
q = heat flux

Then Rosenthal's heat-flow equations ( Rosenthal, D. "The theory of moving sources of heat and it s application to metal treatments", Transactions of the AIME, vol 68. November 1946. pp. 849-866).

Bear with me:
From experimental measurements it has been found that, for a given welding process, weld geometry and material, the cooling time through the range 800ºC to 500 ºC is constant:

These cooling times can be calculated or approximated For thin and thick plate situations by the following equations:

Thick - Dt 8-5 = (q/v)/ (2.pi.L.W)
  1/W = 1/(773-T0) - 1/(1073- T0)

Thin -  Dt 8-5 = (q/v)^2/ (4.pi.L.pc.W^2 .d^2)
  1/ W^2 = 1/(773-T0)^2 - 1/(1073- T0)^2

Where:
  q/v =heatflux  (1 = 1x10^6)
  pc = Volume thermal capacity (Jm^-3.K^-1)
  L = Thermal conductivity (Jm^-1.s^-1.K^-1)
  T0 = preheat temperature (K)

Now if you assume a couple of preheat values and plot the corresponding results for Dt 8-5
You will see the marked difference in cooling rates for various a range of preheats.

We can relate the effect of a preheat to Heat input: High heat input = longer Dt 8-5 or time form 800C to 500C. Similarly with the addition of preheat the Dt 8-5 will increase, that will lead to whatever microstructural changes might be possible in the specific time temperature envelope.

Now if we get back to basic metallurgy we can go on and on about what might or will change in the HAZ and adjacent base metal due to the thermal cycle and cooling rate.

The end effect is that the heat input is responsible for changes in the weld metal and base metal because it is related to cooling rate.

Now to get back to the subject at hand, in my opinion, excessive weaving leads to a "preheat effect" on the base metal still to be welded. this preheat will lead to slower cooling rates or Dt 8-5 which can be related to heat input.
I conclude therefore that weaving undisputedly leads to higher heat input.
You can probably calculated the cumulative effect of the "preheat effect" for every weave for a fixed progression distance of each weave pass.
Don't have the reference with me now but some smart people have already related Heat Input and Dt 8-5 in easy to use reference tables.
Regards,
Hanre
Parent - - By Eutectic (**) Date 09-12-2006 04:39
Good Morning,

Good Article

http://www.jflf.org/pdfs/papers/keyconcepts2.pdf

regards
Parent - - By Yjacket Date 12-21-2006 13:14
Sample problem:  39.7 volts @ 200 amps.  travel speed = 8 inches per minute.  Weldig process is FCAW.  Someone please solve.....just want to make sure I've got the formula right.  
Parent - - By katrutro (*) Date 12-21-2006 13:32
the answer is 59.55 KJ/inch o 59550 J/inch. it is not considered the processes eff.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 12-21-2006 18:45
WOW!!!  What a discussion! I thought it was a debate but now I'm not so sure. I think its more a miscommunication. I think the basic problem, if I may call it that, is that the HI equation is not three dimensional (or in other words Y and Z axis unrepresentative). And actual heat input, as it would manifest itself in say, Charpy's, would be represented better in 3 dimensions.
Preheat while certainly contributing to heat energy would not necessarily be linear with the energy produced by the arc, so IMO this does not equate a two dimensional model with a three dimensional model.
But, having said that, I believe the heat input calc is pretty good since variances would, in most circumstances, have a tendency to be homogenized, much like microhardness measurements can vary radically but homogenize in the structure as a whole.
In other words, I think the wide weave theory is valid, but perhaps not practical, relative of course to just how wide the weave is.
Parent - - By PhilThomas (**) Date 12-22-2006 01:31
I agree....semantics is getting the bst of us all.  I think that we have parallel discussions about heat INPUT energy" and heat FLOW.  For the purposes of mechanical properties, typically cooling rate (which is basically the inverse of heat flow) is used. 
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 12-22-2006 11:09
Hello everyone,
I read all the previous posts and I got a headache.
Travel speed is the time it takes to get from point A to point B, if you are weaving it is going to take a lot longer to get from point A to B than if it was a stringer therefore the recordable heat input is going to be a lot greater.When I perform a PQR that is all I am interested in, the recordable heat input.
Someone please correct me if I am off base.
To all my fellow members on the forum I wish you all a very Merry Xmas and all the best for '07,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-22-2006 13:00
Shane, Merry Christmas, and wishing a wonderful New Year to you kiwi!

Back in September I wanted to post an opinion in here but was interested in seeing exactly where the post was headed thinking I would see if any "new" concept would come forth. 

At the end of the day, your statement "Travel speed is the time it takes to get from point A to point B, if you are weaving it is going to take a lot longer to get from point A to B than if it was a stringer therefore the recordable heat input is going to be a lot greater" remains true.  Twist it, turn it, roll it around in your head, no matter... the longer period of time that metal is exposed to induced thermal energy will always result in higher heat input, at least with the technologies currently available.
Parent - - By dmilesdot (**) Date 12-22-2006 14:06
If there is a difference in the results of the Charpy tests, then there must be a difference in the heat input.
Right?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-23-2006 19:11
A simple fillet break test is a good demonstration of how weaves and/or stringers influence the mechanical properties of a carbon steel weld.

I do this in all my welding classes. Each welder welds two vertical fillet weld samples (carbon steel, A36 typically) )having 5/16 to 3/8 inch legs. One sample is done with three stringer beads. The other sample is welded with a single weave bead. Then the samples are clamped to a column and fractured with repeated blows of a sledge hammer (each welder has to break his/her own welds). There is no doubt in anyone's mind of the difference each technique produces and a lot of surprised looks as well.

Happy holidays - One Wing, Al
Parent - By Stephan (***) Date 01-06-2007 22:57
Dear Fellows,

first of all I guess it should be not too late to wish you all a happy new year!

I am coming from Germany and I must say it is great to read these high qualitative contributions. I would like you to know that we have also a welders forum in Germany - coming from the German Welding Society DVS - but it is definitely not to compare with what you have in the United States and coming from the American Welding Society!

Well, although the query regarding "heat input calculation" has been made approximately 2 years ago, the last reply was stated at December the 23rd last year. Therefore I suppose that it should not be too late for giving a short interpretation of the topic "heat input" from my side. The discussion of what "heat input" in arc welding is, is - at least under German experts - much more topical you ever would suppose. And, so far, it is extremely intricate!

Due to, first I would like to ask "What is Heat?" Expressed in a very simplified way, heat is nothing else than the movement of the smallest particles of a material - what kind ever this is. When we are going to arc weld, we are increasing the amount of particle-movement-energy by transferring the "arc energy" into the base material. Due to the fact of energy conservation - i.e. energy neither can be generated nor destroyed but only being altered in its modifications - the arc energy is being won, by bringing electrical energy to create an accelerated movement of particles of the air (e.g. SMAW) or a gas column (e.g. GMAW or GTAW). By dissociating neutral atoms a/o molecules into (mostly) positive ions and electrons thus generating a plasma we win "kinetic-" or "thermal energy" or simply, we generate an arc. Unfortunately this is not the place and it would go to far to advance further into this very interesting subject matter, because whole books have been written to discover the secrets of what really occurs when an arc is being ignited on a work piece and transfers its energy into the material. Only one little detail I would like to mention, normally, when someone is talking about calculating the "heat input" in arc welding, he must also consider that not the entire amount of electrical energy is being transferred as "heat" to the work piece or material, respectively. There are losses of energy being caused by physical influences just like convection (heat flow in gases and fluids), heat radiation (from arc rays or melting bead) which are, however, negligible both in appropriate equations. Or by resistive heating (Joule's heating) of the electrode material. The sum of all these physically based losses must be subtracted from the amount of electrical power (I * E = Watt or J/s) being delivered from the welding power supply. Therefore the final amount of what value of "heat input" is being transferred into the base material by the arc, is lower than the amount of electrical power (I * E) and is being expressed by the so called factor of "arc efficiency" (normally written as the Greek letter "eta" suffixing an "a"). If the expression of "heat input" (whatever it means) should be calculated correctly, it should take the form of: H = eta a * I * E * 60 / s. However, this fact should not change the general conditions for the in 2004 asked question, due to there are also arc welding processes (e.g. Submerged Arc Welding), working with an "arc efficiency" of ~ 1 (i.e. nearly 100% of electrical energy is being altered into arc energy). The basis of the query was - as far as I understood - whether an oscillated melting bead transfers more heat input into the base material than a stringer bead; and thus if the commonly known equation for calculating the "heat input" namely H = I * E * 60 / s, is usable for this venture. Alright, let us forget all the necessary details of solid state- and plasma physics being normally crucial for calculating the sequences in arc energy- or heat transfer into the base material. For this simplified approach for finding out if there is being transferred more heat input into the base material when the welding is being executed with an oscillating motion, let me make a short description of a consideration about the material, being molten off from the electrode per unit time. As far as I have seen over the course of discussing "Bonniweldor's" question, all fellows are wonderful right in interpreting what is meant, and thus, in making their single predications in regard to the topic. Therefore I have hesitated on myself if it would be actually necessary to write something additional to this topic. But I will try it and thus I would like you to follow me when I am going to express the inseparably interconnection between "heat input" and "heat flow" by using the subsequent example...

Imagine you are going to use Manual Shielded Metal Arc Welding. Presume further you have to fill a Single V-Groove cross section and simplify, that the depth of fusion - although you are going to weld manually - is constant under every circumstance. Also every other condition, coming from the base materials and environmental side, just like materials composition, heat conductivity, heat capacity, base materials temperature prior to welding or spatter loss is equal. Now consider that the voltage and the amperage you are going to use for filling the V-Groove cross section, are ensured to be constant over the entire welding procedure. Likewise it should be implied, that your skill for performing the manual welds, is just like "robot comparable". Furthermore physical influencing factors like heat convection, radiation and resistive heating of the electrode can be neglected for simplifying the whole assumption. Now presume you are going to need a definite number of electrodes with a definite diameter (neglect the covering of the rods) for filling the cross section. Using a defined amount of filler metal means, melting off a defined amount of weld metal and thus, achieving a defined melting rate - always under presuming all other peripheral conditions being held constant. And now imagine that you will have the opportunity to choose the way of filling the cross section - stringer or weaving the layers into the groove! The only stringent condition is, that you have to perform the cross section filling operation under using the constant amount of electrodes, either you are weave- or stringer beading, and thus the melting rate is constant in both. My question to you all dear fellows: "Would you agree that the total amount of arc energy, generated and being transferred into the base material while melting off the constant number of electrodes for filling up the defined cross section of the V-Groove, is equal, indifferently whether you are using stringer bead or weaving bead technique?" Well, when you are going to reply "Yes", I would be on your side, however, strongest simplification of all the very complex physically interacting factors is assumed. But! This, what we have tried to carry out was the calculation of "thermal energy input" by using the "arc on time" by presuming a defined amount of filler metal, being molten off under using defined electrical power conditions (I * E) for filling a defined cross section. Therefore - under theoretical considerations - I can not fully agree with "DGXL" when he says that a 6"-weld, using stringer bead technique, takes less time than a 6"-weld performed under using weaving bead technique. This difference in welding time may be pure reality in daily practice and "DGXL's" predication must be confirmed by using own practical experience, no doubt, but it should not count when we are talking about calculating the value for thermal energy input from the pure theoretical standpoint. Nevertheless - when I am allowed to say - "DGXL" is right when he explains that the difference in welding time has a deep impact on the "heat input" (per unit length). Since the time for performing the weld under using weave beading technique is increased, in opposite the welding velocity is theoretically decreased. Therefore the energy- or lets say "heat input" into the base material is also increased for the case of weave beading technique. What are we now going to do when we have to calculate the theoretical "heat input" under using the expression "Bonniweldor" has stated at the beginning of the entire forum discussion (H = I * E * 60 / s)? Here I would like to suggest to follow the colleagues who have described the meaning of "arc on time". Once again it should be presumed that a weld had to be carried out by using the MSMAW-process. And weaving technique should be the condition. Then it should be possible to measure the time needed to melt off 1 (one) electrode in stringer bead technique and thus to create a proper length of the weld bead ratio (accurate relation of depth of fusion[h] to width of fusion[w] = [h]/[w]). Thereby it might be possible to use the expression H = I * E * 60 / s,  to calculate the "heat input" - with simplification of neglecting the factor of arc efficiency (eta a). Then afterwards, when performing the weaving bead technique to carry out the weld, one can multiply this value of theoretical "heat input" by the number of electrodes been molten off for the entire operation. Hereby to achieve the final value of theoretical "heat input". So far to the term "heat input" what means from my point of view, the theoretical calculated value of thermal energy being won by transferring electrical energy to kinetic- or thermal power and coupling shares of it into the base material.
Coming now to the predication posted by "Phil Thomas" on Dec. 22nd, where he assumed, that we are going to have two parallel discussions - even "heat input energy" and "heat flow". I agree with him. From my point of view, much more important than the theoretical "heat input", calculated by the expression above, is the impact of thermal energy to the base material properties. And thus, I would like to come in a very short way to this topic being so important and invariably coupled to the theoretical "heat input" calculated by H = I * E * 60 / s. As you know any kind of point energy source - just like an arc - which is moving with a defined velocity over a defined base material, creates specific lines or areas, respectively, of constant heat content, so called "Isotherms". It is a great difference between only the theoretical "heat input" (per unit length) and the extent of the isotherms being created by the heat. And thus it is a great difference if you are going to weave or stringer the bead! Why..? Well, since now, when we are going to deal with the impact of the transferred heat to the material, it is no more possible to neglect specific geometrical and physical base material properties like thickness, heat conductivity, heat diffusivity, density etc. and, in some cases, similar properties for the filler material. Basically the thermal conductivity of metals is a temperature depending property, i.e. the higher the temperature of the material is (up to the specific boiling point - then the conductivity is rising again) the lower is its ability to conduct heat - mentioned by the way, consider also the higher electrical resistance of most metals at higher temperatures, since heat- and electrical conductivity are based on the same physical coherences. They correlate both. Let us presume once again to use the Manual Shielded-Metal-Arc-Welding and carrying out the stringer bead technique. This is, dependently to the electrical power (P = I * E  = J/s), the welding velocity (s in cm/min.) and neglecting the arc efficiency, calculable by H = I * E * 60 / s. Correlating to this heat- or energy input and depending to the material properties, specific limited isothermal areas being generated around the arc and its way over the material. Corresponding to these coherences - particularly for low alloyed or high strength steels - the crucial important cooling time interval between 800°C and 500°C is being influenced. Within this interval the thermodynamically sequences are running in a way, being deciding for the later materials microstructure. The higher the thermal energy per unit area per unit time, the larger the isotherms, the lower the cooling rate and thus the longer the cooling interval between 800°C and 500°C. The theoretical instantaneous cooling rates again, are depending basically on:
-  Geometry and dimensions of the work piece
-  Effective heat input per unit length
-  Height of preheating temperature
Instantaneous cooling rates can be calculated but, I would like to forbear on these calculations here due to their relative intricacy. What is important - and this has also already been expressed by "reddoggoose" on Sept. 08th, by predicating: "...as such you can see that a lower travel speed number in the denominator of the equations gives an answer of higher value..." - is, that for changing the conditions for cooling times and -rates, either the electrical power must be increased, or the welding velocity must be decreased. Or, to meet the third aspect in the list above, preheat the component to be welded. So far so good. In case of stringer beading, the material is being molten in a small area by the arc. Additional the energy source is being moved onwardly with a defined velocity. Depending to the materials dimensions, geometry and physical properties, the isotherms are specific in extent and thus the instantaneous cooling rate or t 8/5 is specific to the isothermal areas, respectively.

And now it comes. Differently to stringer beading technique in case of weave beading, the situation is comparable to the physical circumstance of so called "multilayer welding with short seam lengths". In this case the temperature of the area adjacent to the seams being welded, is increased, by welding short time sequenced several seams. For better understanding, presume a V-Groove weld with a bevel angle of 30° on a plate being 15 mm thick, 200 mm wide but only 70 mm long. Now you have to fill the cross section. The time needed for welding all seams, necessary to fill the entire cross section, may be shorter, than if the plate would be 700 mm long. Thus, the time interval every single preceded seam is being welded over by the following one, is shorter than being it in the latter case (700 mm long) and thus the cooling intervals become likewise shorter. Therefore it comes to a kind of "compression" of temperature which increases, with the amount of layers being welded over the preceded ones. The total height of work piece temperature increases and the cooling rate - also between 800°C and 500°C - decreases, until the final layer is being welded and the work piece cools down from the achieved common temperature level. Comparable with this is the weave beading technique. By oscillating the melting bead, the preceded "layer" - long, as wide as the total width of oscillation - is being welded over in a very short interval of time, therefore the total amount of thermal energy (temperature) per unit time per unit area does rise and thus the cooling rate does decrease. Mostly the reason for an increased grain coarsening and thus, deteriorated mechanical properties of the welding joint. This is one of the reasons for the recommendation to use the stringer bead technique for welding e.g. High Strength Low Alloyed Steels. Determining the length of a weld under using defined electrical parameters in relation to base- and filler material properties is the way to combine both "heat input" just as asked by "Bonniweldor", and "heat flow", as predicated by "Eutectic". The equations posted by "Eutectic" - allow me to congratulate him for the excellent explanations - dealing with 2- and 3-dimensional heat flow calculation. These are the base for engineers working in the field of crane-building and -construction. Those people are only looking on the - as we in Germany say - "t 8/5"  for predicting the materials- or joint properties, respectively. No one wants to know there, what the theoretical "heat input" calculated by the expression H = I * E * 60 / s, is in fact by its own. Only the reasonable combination of "heat input" and "heat flow" and their interactions are of crucial interest. Rosenthal's equations were as far as I know the one of the first groundbreaking attempts to calculate the energy input of a moving source, i.e. an arc, and deliver also today relatively good predictions in some basically questions of heat transfer processes like arc welding, although intermediately they have been improved in many different ways. I guess this is what  "Lawrence" on Sept. 27th 2004 meant ("...it will smoke your hard drive."). Finally please allow to let me try to reply the question posted by "Cain" on Sept. 27th 2004. Yes, the heat transfer efficiency is dependent to, or based on the welding process, respectively. Particularly the deeper trials of calculating heat input in case of using modern arc welding processes (CMT, STT, AC-MIG etc.) are increased in intricacy. Due to the difficulty to define the correct heat transfer efficiency factors to define the correct way of calculation.

Concluding I would like to say that - from my point of view - mostly it might be a great difference between the values basing on theoretical calculations and those ones, being measured via experimental procedure, e.g. by using calorimetry for defining the net heat input. Since I can imagine that there is also a difference between the theoretical heat input calculated for weaving and the final practical net heat input using this technique (see also "DGXL's" reply on Sept. 25th 2004), it is assumable that in case of practical weaving operation the net heat input might be higher than in stringer bead technique - although the theory would speak another speech.

Last but not least, and before finishing my accomplishments, I am proud to be a fellow of the great American Welding Society and thus having the chance of discussing with you!

Thank you for reading and best regards from Germany,
Stephan
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Calculation of Arc Weld Heat Input