Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Repair welding of SA516 Gr. 60
- - By SHLALAM Date 09-27-2004 16:13
Hello,

I am working on repair welding of 1.56” (around 40 mm) SA516 Gr. 60 to 3” (76mm) thick SA516 Gr.60 at angle of 45 deg. The weld joint is fillet. My problem is this joint was already welded three times in its service and grinded. Now I have to weld this fourth time. Can any one can help me with code specification (either ASME or AWS D1.1) requirements for this repair welding. Like how times can we weld these materials? What other precautionary measures we have to take?, etc.

Thanks in advance
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 09-27-2004 20:51
Neither ASME nor AWS (nor any other standard, API for example) will tell you haw many times you can weld on the same place in which a weld was removed, and bevelled and grinded again.
That depends on the WPS, or the specifications issued by the consulting engineer or engineering firm that designed the equipment, or your company's experience. Discuss the problem with your client or the engineering dept. of your own company.
A-516 Gr. 60 is a low carbon, non hardenable steel, which is an advantage. On the other hand, is a fine grain steel, which is a disadvantage, because several weldings done in the same place tend to increase the grain size of the heat affected zone.
To give a more detailed answer it would be very useful to know the service the plate will be submitted to.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Repair welding of SA516 Gr. 60