Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Shear Question
- - By jer (**) Date 09-28-2004 21:48
Does any one have any info on a Edwards 8' x 10g shear, I believe its made in England. Do they still make them? Is this a decent shear?
Parent - - By Plasma weld Date 10-05-2004 14:07
If it's a Tru Cut they are excellent machines. And yes, parts are still supported. I doubt if it's a 8ft machine as they are all metric. Could be a 2 or 3 meter unit. No flywheel just a gear reduction drive which is fairly quick. What makes it unique is the blade has an adjustable inclination angle which gives the cut very little bevel. That is if it's a Tru-Cut machine. The blade clearance is adjustable also but not the rake angle.
Parent - - By jer (**) Date 10-09-2004 03:08
Thanks Plasma Weld for the feed back. Machine came in today and yes it is a Edwards Ture Cut and like you said I think it will cut 99 1/2".

Do you know where a guy can get parts for these? or a manual for my machine?
Parent - - By Plasma weld Date 10-11-2004 22:45
Sounds like you have a 2.5/2500 or a 3.5/2500. There should be a plate on the right rear of the machine. The company I used several years ago was.
600 Machine Tools
600 Group Equipment LTD
5220 General Road, Mississauga, Ontario L4W1G8
Tel: (905) 625-9611 Fax: (905) 625-4098

I think you will be supprised as to the cost of a new machine.
What type of back-gauge is on your machine? One was a double screw type the other a gear and pinion. I made some modifications to mine to include a travel-gauge and a differential screw to adjust the blade clearance. I can hold .005 cut tolerance easy. If you are unable to find help, advise as I have the operators manual & may be able to send you a copy.
Parent - By jer (**) Date 10-12-2004 00:41
Thanks for the address & numbers. The shear is a 3.25 mm. 2500 The backgauge operates kind of strange, whereby you have to loosen the holddown and adjust both sides independently to where you want it and lock it down. Needless to say it would be nice to place a different back gauge on. Still didn't power up machine yet, but I sanded and painted it today. Yes I do need a manual and placed a request to machinerymanuals.com to see if they have one and how much.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Shear Question