Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Complete Vs Partial Joint Penetration
- - By sri_raj21 Date 09-30-2004 09:41
Note 3 for Table 2.3 of AWS D1.1:2000 (page 13) states that "Fillet weld and Partial joint Penetration welds joining the components of built-up members such as flange-to-web connections, may be designed without regard to the tensile and compressive stress in these elements parallel to the axis of the weld". Now if I want to use a Complete joint penetration groove weld for the flange-to-web connection of a built-up column, do I have to design it for tensile and compressive loads as well? If so, why? I believe the loads coming on the joint will be the same irrespective of whether it is a complete joint penetration or partial joint penetration weld.
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 09-30-2004 10:36
Hi sri_raj21,

I'd say yes, you do have to design for tensile and compressive forces if you use a complete penetration groove weld. In Table 2.3, note 3 applies only to partial penetration groove and fillet welds. Look at complete joint penetration groove welds in Table 2.3, under stresses in weld. It has the same note: "Tension or compression parallel to the axis of the weld", but there is no footnote 3.
Also, look at C2.10, which may offer an explanation, as it states in part that "the weld metal in complete joint penetration groove welds subject to tension stresses normal to the effective area should have mechanical properties closely comparable to those of the base metal". For fillet and partial penetration groove welds, it goes on to state that 'the designer has a greater flexability in the choice of mechanical properties of weld metal as compared to those components that are being joined", and the reasons behind it.
I'm not sure if I've been any help to you, because I'm no engineer. However, if you're bound by D1.1, you really should be using the current 2004 edition. I haven't taken the time to look up the corresponding tables and notes to see if anything changed between the 2000 you're using, and the 2004, but there is always that possibility. Perhaps someone else can elaborate on that.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Complete Vs Partial Joint Penetration