Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Metal Core Wire in 120 or 140 KSI Yield
- - By M-Squared (**) Date 10-05-2004 19:44
I am currently involved in an R&D project where we are developing a new base material. As part of the project, welding of the base metal will be the next major task involved and I need achieve at least 120 ksi Yield Strength in the weld metal in the as welded state. I have been looking for information on 120 or 140 ksi yield strength MC wire but all I have found is 90 or 100 ksi wire.

I am looking for any information on distributors and/or web sites for information on either 120 or 140 tensile strength MC weld wire. This wire would be taking the place of ER140S-1 or ER120S-1.

Thanks.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 10-06-2004 11:54
Do you think it would help to know the yield of the base material? Or did I miss something? Have you done "All weld metal samples"?
Parent - - By M-Squared (**) Date 10-08-2004 21:34
I’m sorry but this project is very sensitive and all information concerning the base metal is proprietary. I have given all the information I can concerning the base metal. This is a new material that is being developed and I just received some samples but no welding has been performed yet. I’m in the process of looking for welding electrodes that may work in accordance with the welded properties that I must meet or exceed for this material. I am putting together a list of electrodes that may work and will perform a “down select” from that list. As part of that list I would like to look at 120 or 140 yield strength electrodes. ER120S and ER140S wires are candidates, but they have two strikes against them, price and availability.

All I am looking for is information regarding metal core wires that fall into the 140 or 120 ksi yield strength range at this time (if there is any such wire). I am hoping that price and availability are better that the ER120S and ER140S wires.

Thanks.
Parent - By supermechanic (**) Date 10-10-2004 04:08
R&D isn't cheap, bite the bullet and buy the pricey wire. If your project goes well, the money spent will seem a pittance.
Parent - By Repairmanager Date 02-01-2005 16:34
Have utilized both ER120 & ER140 on several "projects" and material weld applications over the years. When you move into that material strength range as one other respondant noted use the best filler material available or it will come back to haunt you. What you really need is the old L-TEC ER130 but it no longer made. The ER120 without specific chemistry controls & specific modifications from the AWS spec, will not consistantly meet 120ksi YS simply because of variations in the wire heat to heat chemistry allowed by AWS and the ER140 is a bit of an overmatch, so you will have to weigh your end service requirements against the wire deposit properties. ER 120 & ER140 is difficult to find right now because of steel prices. The best material available cleanliness and chemistry wise is US Welding, Sandvik makes the ER120 & ER140 and in my opinion is the best commercial wire available. Best of luck.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Metal Core Wire in 120 or 140 KSI Yield