Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / pipe weld inches
- - By - Date 10-04-2000 12:21
Can anybody tell me how to figure weld inches in the different sizes of pipe? This would be for production documentation.
Parent - - By Neal (*) Date 10-05-2000 20:45
I am unfamiliar with the term? You may need to be more specific?
Do you mean circumferential inches, if so then Pi x diameter? I worked in a shop in the 70s where diameter inches were used to track production. 120 diameter inches was the norm. That could be 10 12"NPS joints or 12 10" NPS. This was always standard wall carbon steel.

Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 10-10-2000 13:22
I agree with Neal. Years ago, when I worked in erection of heavy plants, we used the Diameter-Meters (instead of Diameter-Inches) to monitor production of pipe erection and welding, i.e., how many meters of pipe of such diameter were erected and welded per day. Several Diameter-Meters parameters were available for different materials (carbon steel, alloy and stainless) and for different Schedule numbers.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By - Date 10-10-2000 16:40
Actually, I haven't seen production monitered in that fashion since the early 80's, and I didn't think it was a very accurate way to measure our production either. What other ways ( or programs) can I track pipe welder productivity?
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / pipe weld inches