Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Can I use my maching for TIG?
- - By _TJ (*) Date 10-09-2004 07:26
I have a Century 250AC/140DC welder. It runs off 240v. It works quite well and handles 1/8" rod no problem. Are there add-on's available that would let me use this machine for TIG?
Parent - - By medicinehawk (**) Date 10-10-2004 03:56
As long as you have DC current, a stinger & a ground clamp, you have a power source suitable for TIG welding or GTAW (Gas Tungsten Arc Welding) as it is also known.

You will ofcourse need a TIG torch along with power/gas lead, flow meter & Argon regulator.

You should really take a class or find an experienced welder who can show you the basics of TIG welding as it is nothing like SMAW (stick welding).

You can weld carbon steel as well as stainless steel with the TIG proccess, but there is more to it, then just having the set-up and I highly reccomend some training as weld prep and technique are critical in being able to perform this type of welding.

If you have any questions, feel free to send me an e-mail and I'll help you as much as I can. I have been welding for over 20 years, plus I also teach welding. There are many professionals here who I am also sure would be more then willing to give you advice.

Anyway, Best to you.
Be well.
Parent - - By _TJ (*) Date 10-10-2004 06:06
Thank you for the detailed reply, much appreciated.

Actually I just started my second year in Welding and am now starting GTAW. I'm WABO certified for SMAW, FCAW-G, and I just have my OH test to do to get my cert in GMAW. I'm gonna come back to that after I get through my GTAW. Then hopefully I can get a pipe cert or two before I'm done.

That's exciting to find out I can use this simple stick machine for TIG. I was just thinking I could get some xtra practice at home.

I'm really having a great time in this class, it's very rewarding and what a great skill to have. I'm diggin' it.

Thanks again.
Parent - By medicinehawk (**) Date 10-10-2004 14:10
That is awesome that you are learning the Trade and if you are going to get certified welding pipe...even better. Pipe welding is where you will earn the most money is you chose to go into the construction field.
If you are concentrating on quality (being the best you can be) then you will always have work.
I have worked in fabrication shops for several companies in my career, but construction offers new situation and different systems where I have continued to be challanged.
I am sure you will do very well.
Weld on!
Parent - By Engloid (*) Date 10-10-2004 07:50
People used to ask me so much that I wrote up some info on it...and an online friend posted it on his webpage. Here is is:

http://az-zbum.com/welder.upgrade.shtml
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Can I use my maching for TIG?