Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / MIG welding nodular iron to steel, help!
- By uglyjeep Date 10-15-2004 04:30
Hi, I need some input from you professionals out there. I currently build custom axles out of my garage. The axles have a nodular iron center section and mild axle steel tubes pressed into the center section, the axle centers are made by Dana Spicer, I make the tubes out of 1026 DOM tubing. The steel tube is retained on either side of the center casting just like most any factory axle, with 6 to 8 plug, or rosette, welds on each side through the casting. In the past, I have been welding these using shielded metal-arc process with a Ni-Rod 55x, a 55 percent nickel-iron electrode without a preheat and the results have been very good so far. However, I would like to set up my mig welder to do the same task. Can anyone give me recommendations on what wire type and shielding gas to use? My current MIG welder is a Airco Dip-Pak 250 which is very similar to the Esab 250 Mig units marketed today. Also, are there any other modifications to my welder needed or procedures that anyone can recommend to help steer me in the right direction? I have searched the internet on the subject of welding nodular with a MIG and found some information that is helpful, but nothing that is really comprehensive on the subject as of yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I greatly enjoy these forums and always learn something new on them!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / MIG welding nodular iron to steel, help!