Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / need help with oxygen lance
- - By roddy Date 10-17-2004 22:58
hey all, i started a new job and at some time i will be required to use an oxygen lance to burn away siezed pins from scoop tram and miscelaneous mining equipment.

i have used one before to slice away a piece of cast that was in the way during a furnace rebuild, but not in a long long time.

can someone plz post oxygen/amperage settings, a basic how to or even a good link? i have been told that removing the ground clamp once u start is a good.. do you agree?

does the welder wear alot or molen metal from the procedure if it is done properly? i dont have a leather coat yet, but think it is pretty much manditory for the job..

what size/length of rod would u use to pierce a pin say 4" diamiter and 18" or 24" long?

i havent been able to find much info on the net about this.. if you have any usefull tips i would REALLY REALLY appreciate them. thanks!!

roddy
Parent - - By roddy Date 10-20-2004 10:20
[deleted]
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 10-20-2004 11:47
Roddy, I have no personal experience with an oxygen lance but I found lots of references with Google. Give it a try, just type in Oxygen Lance.

Many years ago I worked in a Copper Smelter, they (not I) used a long section of pipe with Oxygen to tap the furnace. Is this the same thing?
Parent - - By sparx (**) Date 10-20-2004 12:27
There are a number of companies that supply the equipment needed for this type of job. Arcair (div. of Thermadyne) sells the Arcair Slice Pack. There are a couple of ways to use this equipment. basically it is a pistol grip with an air line and collet. the rods are exothermic coated steel rods that when ignited and supplied with oxygen through the middle, produces the heat required to melt steel, and the oxygen pressure is there to not only enhance the flame, but remove the molten metal. You can use the unit with or without a welding power source. the rod is ignited and the oxygen is supplied with the handle depressed. the rod can be ignited with a torch, or the electrical sparks of a standard car battery with the proper "striker" that is supplied with the kit, or the unit can be hooked up to a cc power source and ignited with a scratch start, much like starting a welding rod. the rods come in 22" and 44" lengths at 1/4" dia. and for larger diameters (3/8"+) they are 18" and 36" in length.
You will definitely need to wear some leathers (head to toe would be good) since the molten metal will be spraying everywhere. (the oxygen pressure should be about 80 p.s.i.) once you start the pierce, you will need to manipulate the rod in small circles to penetrate and remove material, at the same time as inserting the rod into the cavity that is being created. Usually you don't need to remove the pine entirely, as the heat generated will usually cause it to break free from the surface. some persuasion with a hammer will usually remove it after the hole is pierced all the way through. Keep in mind that this process is pretty much the same as carbon arc gouging (noise, smoke, spatter, etc.)
For larger pins or demolition work, burning bars up to ten or twelve feet can be used, pretty much the same process, only on a larger scale. (check out www.canadianpipesupply.com for and example of the types of bars and holders are avail.)

sorry about the length of the post, just got typing and forgot to stop.
Parent - - By roddy Date 10-20-2004 18:36
thank you for all of your replies!!

without much luck google was actually the first place i tried before posting here.

sparx, that reply was absolutly great!! not too long by my liking at all and very infromative :):) it sounds like u have experience with the lance and if u dont mind i have a few more questions for you...

if the welding machine is used to ignite the rod then does the amperage setting really matter much?

would it be a good idea to remove the ground clamp after ignition to prevent the rod from burning up too quickly?

some rods come coated and some are not.. what is the main difference?

roddy

Parent - - By sparx (**) Date 10-20-2004 20:02
Roddy;
If you click on the link (or cut and paste it on your browser) it will bring you to the literature on the Thermadyne website. Either save it to your harddrive or print off the pages you need. pretty useful information here. If you need any more info, I will see what I can do.........
regards
Sparx

http://www.thermadyne.com/ta/literature/pdfs/sales/89_240_003.pdf
Parent - By roddy Date 10-21-2004 18:53
i printed the document and found it very usefull. from what i can gather, the ground clamp doesnt even need to be connected to the pin that is being lanced. as long as the rod is burnung, that is enough to start the molten puddel and pierce the pin. plz correct me if i am wrong. thanks again!

roddy
Parent - - By magodley (**) Date 10-20-2004 12:27
Call Greg Cain at Oxylance Corp. in Birmingham Al for all the info you want They also have a web site. 205-322-9906
Andy
Parent - - By supermechanic (**) Date 10-22-2004 00:04
Regular 1/8" black iron shedule 40 pipe can be used as a burning bar, feed o2 in one end- burn on the other.

Can also ignite bar with a cutting torch.

Some will thread a piece of steel cable through the pipe, this slows the consumption of the bar considerably.

Adding a piece of aluminum wire to the inside pipe helps to increase the reactivity of the burning bar(think thermite here).

Figure about a three to one ratio for depth of hole to bar length consumption.(3 meters of bar will pierce a 1 meter hole)

If you dont want to experiment, buy the commercial bars( about 1500% price difference).

Full leathers, or foundry cape adviseable.
Parent - By roddy Date 10-30-2004 02:18
ok guys, thanks! alot of great info and good people here. i'll let yas know how i make out when the time comes.

roddy

p.s - if anyone else cares to share thier tip trick or techniques, i'm all ears!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / need help with oxygen lance