Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / welding procedure
- - By jojombe Date 10-18-2004 14:04
why should i need a PQR for using standards WPS?
what is the difference between prequalfied WPS and qualified WPS?
what are different steps to get the WPS qualified?
what are the different steps to get the PQR done?
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 10-18-2004 19:49
Which code are you using and do you have a copy of it ? I may be able to refer you to the information in the applicable code to help clear up your questions.

If you are referring to a SWPS as indicated in ASME SEC IX you do not need a PQR however there is some testing to be done. This is all contained in ASME Sec IX Article V

a) A Prequalified WPS is a term used to describe a WPS prepared in accordance with the requirements of AWS D1.1 and some other AWS Codes. This type of WPS has predefined requirements that must be addressed and controlled by the WPS. In addition the joint design must be one that is referred to by D1.1.

b) A qualified WPS would be one that has been qualiifed by testing (A PQR). The PQR is a record of the parameters used during welding of a specimen and many of the variables will affect the allowed ranges on the WPS.

c) Here is my method .

1) Review the code to be used and become familar with how to use it and understand trhe terms and definitions contained within it.

2) Prepare a draft WPS that contains the actual ranges in which you would like the WPS qualified to work for. Verify that this will cover the actual ranges to be used in production

3) Review the code and pay attention to each allowed range for the variables listed by the WPS and find an acceptable value to use on the PQR. This can be simple to very involved depending upon the code, process, thickness, joint , preheat, pwht etc..

4) Weld a test coupon using variables that will qualifiy for the ranges required by the WPS, perform the applicable inspection and testing on the coupon, record the results on the PQR, refer to this PQR on the WPS.

The key is becoming familar with the code. There are many differences that are too many to mention so the key is having someone competent in understanding the code. Some software exists that performs code checking and helps with the forms but a competent person can perform many more funtions.

Hope this helps.

Gerald Austin
http://www.weldinginspectionsvcs.com/
Parent - By WalterJ Date 11-26-2004 20:44
Hi,

Your questions are really, really basic to using Section IX. I highly recommend that you read the introduction -- it tells you how to use the book, and that is no mean trick in itself.

Also, all the articles that I published in the Welding Journal discussing annual revisions to Section IX are on my web site, www.sperkoengineering.com. The are very exciting reading. . .

Alternatively, ASME offers a three-day course on how to use ASME Section IX. See www.asme.org and go to the "Continuing Education Institute." (disclosure: I teach it.)

Walt Sperko
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / welding procedure