Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding AR plate (Abrasion Resistant)
- - By Dagwood (*) Date 10-19-2004 22:04
I have to develop welding procedures for the following combinations: AR plate to AR plate, AR plate to 304L stainless steel, and AR plate to plain carbon steel (eg A36).
They are for chutes in a pulp and paper mill for wood chips.
Does anyone have experience with AR plate welding?
I'm thinking that:
1) AR/AR should be welded with something like an 8018 with pre-heating
2) AR/SS should be welded with 309L and pre-heat
3) AR/CS should be welded with 7018 or 8018 pre-heated as well.
Does this sound reasonably close to start with? Any ideas on an internet link?
You guys in this forum have been great with a huge wealth of information!!!
Thanks in advance.
Dagwood.
Parent - By ajoy (**) Date 10-20-2004 09:37
Your selection seems to be correct/ practical for all the combinations.
Some important considerations shall be :

1. E8018-G may be an under-matching alloy for AR/AR joint and so the criterion of acceptance of the procedure is to be settled with the client.

2. What is your limiting hardness on the HAZ ? Your preheat, IPTand post heat will be important parameters govering the hardness.
Parent - - By Sean (**) Date 10-20-2004 20:04
Dagwood,

I would try the Algoma website for their AR plate. Typically, they have welding details on how to weld their AR plate to AR plate and CS. Our experience here is AR to AR plate we use 8018 up to 12018 (depending on the type of AR plate and strength we require). PHT may be required depending on the thickness of your base materials.

As for the SS materials, I would use the Schaffler diagram to choose my filler metal. At the Canadian Weldexpo Frank Babish, Technical Manager of Welding Products Sandvik Steel Company had a great presentation on welding SS. His presentation slides (which discusses using the Schaffler diagram) can be found on the Canadian Welding Association website at:
http://www.cwa-acs.org/symposium/index.html

-Sean

Parent - By Dagwood (*) Date 10-20-2004 21:56
I have checked out the Algoma website and they have a data sheet that recomends E90XX or E100XX low hydrogen electrodes with a preheat of 300 deg. F. for thicknesses up to 1/2".
So I guess that answers a big part of the question...
We don't have a limit given to us for hardness. What we are fabricating is a chip chute in a pulp mill and our main concern is to avoid any cracking down the road. It is only 1/4" thick material and it will all be corner joint/fillet welds so hopefully it will be pretty straighforward to do our procedure on.

Thank-you all for your replies and help. You have given me a better direction in which to look for and find information!!!

Dagwood.
Parent - - By Dagwood (*) Date 10-20-2004 21:59
Sean,
Did you get to the WeldExpo this year? I tried to go, but just couldn't make it there. Too bad because I'm sure there was a million things to see and even more to learn!
Dagwood.
Parent - By Sean (**) Date 10-21-2004 16:52
I didn't get to go... although others from our Company & area went (I'm in NS)... originally, I was supposed to go to do a presentation, but my schedule wouldn't allow it. I hear it was a great success and that the dream welding shop was quite impressive. Its always nice to see new things on the market.

-Sean
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding AR plate (Abrasion Resistant)