Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / API 653
- - By cawelder (**) Date 10-26-2004 00:27
My company is wanting me to go take the API 653 exam this coming year. Does anyone here have any advice on good study material I may need to look into before I go to take the exam. They are going to send me to a one week prep coarse, but I would like to be ahead of the game by the time I go. I would also like to know how this exam compares to the AWS CWI exam. The CWI exam was hard, but I passed it the first time. Any advice would be great.

Thanks,
Chuck
Parent - By dlmann (**) Date 10-26-2004 01:43
Congrats on taking the plunge. For API 653, 510 and 570 I would recommend taking the prep course offered by Code West. Look for their link on the API website.

As for training material, links for these are on the Code West website.

Good Luck and Regards,
dlmann
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 10-26-2004 18:34
Take a look also at the API site: www.api.org
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By TTONKA (*) Date 08-31-2005 20:30
As a previous API 653 I think you should pursue other options. Get used to crawling around on a tank floor - no thanks. I would try for 570 or 510 if possible. But if you are set on 653 make sure you take a reputable course and code-west is one of the best. Unfortunately AWS puts out a much easier test than API. AWS tends to focus on whether or not you know the material. API questions are a lot like ASNT in that it might take you 5 minutes before you realize what they are asking you. The questions are hard to understand and a lot of the answers are very similar. Good news is Code-West knows this and their practice exams tailored to API. If you do well on their exams you should do well on the exam.
Parent - By APICWI Date 09-03-2005 07:34
Regardless of where you prepare, pay close attention and study at home each night after the course. Whether its 653, 510 or 570, an API Certification opens many doors for work world-wide. Since I became a 653 and 570 in 1998, I've been working mainly overseas for European companies and I have turned down heaps of offers for work.

Code West seems to be the training leader, and as long as your company pays the cost, why not go for the best. I did my training through Pacific Technical Sevices in Torrance, CA. The course was excellent and I passed first time. Pay close attention to the corrosion evaluation and minimum thickness calculations. The API site for study can be found here: http://api-ep.api.org/quality/index.cfm?objectid=244ABC3B-8CD2-11D5-BC6B00B0D0E15BFC&method=display_body&er=1&bitmask=002001003009000000

Tonka is right though, as an API 653, you will get grungy, hot and claustrophobic and oftentimes, depending on who you work for, you end up just as a data collector for someone else to do the reports.

Best of luck though and I strongly feel the study and preparation is well worth the effort.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Tom
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / API 653