Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS D1.3
- - By weldermgr Date 11-01-2004 14:07
I have a welder who was certified to weld decking IAW AWS D1.3. What did this welder have to do to pass his test? Did he have to weld up a couple of test plates and have a bend test done? I don't have a copy of D1.3.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Parent - By vonash (**) Date 11-23-2004 00:30
What exactly did your people do to qualify?
Parent - By brande (***) Date 11-25-2004 05:40
A lot depends on the particular part of the code he was testing to.

A couple of things to keep in mind...

D1.3 covers sheet metal to 3/16 material max. Carbon steel only, without weld (not welder) qualification tests.

There are different qualification tests for joint design, thickness, position, etc.

There is a 16 gage and thinner qual and a 16 gage and thicker qual.

There is a sheet to sheet qual (<3/16)and a sheet (<3/16) to
structural (>3/16) qual.

Bend tests are not usually done. Hammer bend and chisel until complete failure is usually required. Close visual root inspection after complete failure.

All welder quals require two test samples, unless that particular welder is qualifying a procedure as well. (and my memory is any good!)

In short, D1.3 has many of the ins and outs of any other welding code.

More detailed info would be required. I'm sure that we can help, but we need to know particulars.

Also remember, too, that if your welder qualified for another employer, it might be a bit difficult to pass that off as your own. Quals generally belong to the employer of record, as they have take responsibility for the welder's day to day work.

Maybe you are looking for a simple testimonial of the welder's past skills, absolutely no code situation involved. In that case, his previous qual might serve your needs.

Contact me directly, if needed. More than happy to help.

Good Luck

brande
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS D1.3