Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Fabshield 21B
- - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-01-2004 17:58

I have an *old* roll of Hobart 0.045 fabshield 21B (E71T-11) Gasless FCAW wire that I am having some problems with. Running a Delta Weld powersource with a 50 series feeder which works just fine with other Mig projects.

I have the product data right from Hobart http://www.hobartbrothers.com/pdf/Fabshield21B.pdf , and am doing trials to the suggested parameters with very poor results.

Seeing ropy beads with poor transition to the base material, slag not covering the top but very much sucked into the weld toes.

Have tried a variety of voltages and wire feed speeds above and below suggested values with neglegable effect.

The wire has been stored uncovered and subject to humidity for over a year, so I'm wondering if I just ought to toss the thing and start all over again with a fresh spool.

I Don't have much experience with this stuff but my roll sure isn't performing as advertised.

Any advice or tricks of the trade from those of you familliar with self shielded core wire would be a great gift.

Thanks in advance.
Parent - - By Bonniweldor (**) Date 11-02-2004 00:44
Assuming you have basic parameter correctly set, cut your losses and uncertainty, dispose of it and start new. Uncontrolled FCAW consumable is as bad as uncontrolled SMAW, SAW, etc.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-02-2004 00:55

Right you are Bonnie,

Being a typical tightwad type, I wanted to explore any possibility.

Have a new roll, and will report the outcome.

Being in a tech school environment I have lots of old spools getting only partially used during the course of a semester, I just hate the thought of discarding them, they can be rebagged, but is that really going to make a big difference?
Parent - By agong (**) Date 11-02-2004 14:03
Yes, rebag it with plastic paper and make sure moisture doesn't get in.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 11-02-2004 14:15
Did you try straight polarity with that wire? That is what Hobart requires. We don't use much self shielded FCAW, but did use a bit of Fabshield 21B on some field work recently. Once the welders tweaked their settings, all went well with good looking profiles.
If your wire was not subjected to extraordinary humidity or moisture, it should still run OK. However, it is best to replace it if you suspect problems.

Chet Guilford
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-02-2004 15:38

Thanks Chet, Guys

Yeah, I had the polarity correct. After getting a fresh roll and running a few passes I'm convinced that it's a moisture thing, the new stuff is running just like it ought to.

Will run a few 3/8 guided bends to make sure all is well.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Fabshield 21B